Blog Entry Number Nineteen

About 6 days later...

"Get to Famous Dave's. NOW!" Mr. Barlow boomed through the phone. Henry and Charlotte looked at me. I blushed and mouthed, Sorry. My dad wants me. I ran out of the doors of Starbucks to the restaurant four blocks away.

"What took you so long?" Mr. Barlow demanded.

"Sorry!" I blurted out, with a twinge of annoyance in my voice. "I was at Starbucks!"

"Alone? Like the little antisocial loner you are?" he teased. I stifled a frown. You're ruining my life, I thought. Why did I say yes to this job?

"For your information, no," I retorted in the most confident voice I could muster.

He frowned. "Are you being sassy with me?"

"What does it sound like? I was with my friends."

"You are getting in a lot of trouble. Now you better bite down on your tongue before I--"

"NO! I'M NOT GONNA. You ruined these last five months of my life. I'm freaking tired of you telling me what to do! I'm not antisocial! I have friends. If you didn't freaking call me, I'd be with them right now, probably having fun, instead of standing in this dark, cramped room with the number one hated person in Swellview!"

"Yeah, the number one hated person is you," Mr. Barlow stated.

"I QUIT!" I stormed out of the room. I ran out of Famous Dave's as fast as I could.

***

Over the next few days, I looked over my shoulder constantly. I kept thinking that someone was out to get me. I was shaking as I pressed my thumb on the locker's combination button. I felt someone tap me on the shoulder.

"Eee!" I squealed.

"Oh, sorry, Candie," a familiar voice said behind me. I turned around, bright red, and surprised to see Henry behind me. He was looking lanky and adorable in a purple button down and a pair of loose, baggy jeans. "Is this a bad time?" he asked.

"Oh, no. Sorry, I'm a little jumpy today. I... uh... saw a scary movie with my sister last night," I replied.

"But... I didn't see your sister pull up last night," he said.

I tilted my head. "You were watching my house?"

He coughed. "Um... can I just borrow the notes from science? I forgot to take notes."

"Uh... hello? Did you just meet me today?" I waved my hand in his face. "You know I don't take notes during class. I draw," I chuckled.

"Can I see one of them?" he asked. "Instead of the science notes?"

"Sure." I pulled out my folder and flipped through the pages. There was a drawing of a devious person, a drawing of me holding up my phone to take a selfie.

"Wait, what's that one?" Henry questioned, pointing to a page. It was a drawing of Henry's cheek.

"Oh, nothing!" I abruptly shut the folder.

***

"Hello everybody!" Mrs. Velasquez said over the microphone. "It's Friday! You know what that means?"

"'Open Mic Friday'," everyone replied. Some sounded excited, others, lackluster.

"Open Mic Friday" was a chance where people can show off their talents. Some would make little skits. Some would tell jokes. And some would use the karaoke machine (Weird. A school with a karaoke machine?) and sing. Of course, me being Candie Mitchell, I hadn't tried to go up there.