Blog Entry Number Thirty-Four

But... just because we smiled at each other doesn't mean we were friends. It just meant that things were okay with us. We were free to just say hello to each other in the halls without it having awkward, but it wasn't like we would hang out. Those three weeks were the "okay-I-kinda-sorta-forgive-you" stage in this conflict, but again, we didn't hang out.

Until that day that would change things for the better.

Or maybe for worse.

To be honest, even to this day, I don't know.

***

I adjusted the collar of my top and smoothed my skirt. I checked my watch. 7:45.

"Honey?" my dad yelled from the doorway, peering into the room. "You ready?"

"Yeah. Just... hang on," I breathed. I took my purse. All of my books were in my locker because I had done all my studying during study hall, so it meant my hands were free to wear Bella's old purse from her trip to Japan. I breathed in deeply, then decided to do something. I closed the door and I rummaged through the top drawer of my dresser. I picked up a tube of peach lipstick and a picture of a woman who looked almost exactly like me. She had her back turned to the camera, and she was pointing to the brightest star in the night sky.

"Hi, mom. How are you doing?" I asked the picture, hoping she could hear me. "It's November 30. Happy birthday. I hope there are so many stars in the sky to shine on you. And... please help shine some on me." I kissed it. I put the picture back in my dresser, then slung my purse over my shoulder.

"What took you so long?" he asked.

"Just... wanted to say happy birthday to a loved one," I stated.

He smiled. "I did that when I woke up."

"Yeah..." A thought snapped into my head. "You never told me how your date was!"

He blushed. "Don't you think it's bad to talk about that on your mother's birthday?"

"I'm sure it's what mom would've wanted."

"Well... it was okay. We're planning something."

"You didn't tell me what her name was."

"Her name is Natalie. She's very pretty, and nice, and who knows, you might meet her soon."

I grinned. "I can't wait to meet her."

By the time I said that, we had reached the front of the building. "Well, here we are. Have fun, kiddo."

"I will." I kissed his cheek. "Bye, dad."

"Bye, Candie." He drove the blue station wagon away. I slid my watch up and down my arm as I walked into the school. I walked to my locker and took out my history book.

"Mornin', Mrs. Hart," someone said behind me. My eyes widened, and I turned around slowly. "'Sup, Candie?" Charlotte chuckled.

I laughed. "Oh, it's just you. But why 'Mrs. Hart'?"

"Because, you and Henry are in good terms, right?"

"Yeah, but it's not like we're gonna end up together."

"Uh-huh. Sure." She leaned to the side. "And speaking of..."

I turned back around and saw Henry and Chloe, walking in the halls, holding hands and giggling (do boys giggle?) at each other. He looked at me and nodded. I pressed my lips together and nodded back.

"Who are you..." Charlotte turned around. "Oh. Oh! Aww! You guys are rekindling your romance!" She poked me playfully on the shoulder.

"Shut up!" I laughed.