10 (Edited)

Cari

Even though he said he wasn't an alpha blood that's how he appeared to her. He was potent and dominant as they talked at any chance they got and even Skyped. He'd told her he was a trainee guard at the palace and had always belonged to the royal pack.

Being part of the royal pack was prestigious in itself and the pack members were known to be strong. It made sense that he'd show such intense power without being high up in the hierarchy. As much as it made sense that she, a beta blood, would be mated to a royal pack warrior.

Claire though, wouldn't have been okay with that. Maybe she had met him ten years ago and decided against him for being a mere pack warrior. Andre wouldn't have known and it was her sister's nature to hide in the shadows and observe before revealing herself.

How many times had Cari watched her do so before joining her friends? But why lie? Why not talk to Cari and convince her to trade mates? She would've done so. Claire had always been able to sway Cari. His could she have found it so easy to betray the love and devotion Cari had given her all these years?

Cari shrugged that hurt away, at least for the moment. Andre would be arriving soon and she had to concentrate on that. It was daunting how fast one week passed by. It seemed like no time had passed since she'd known about him and now he'd be here.

"Look alive cuz." Cari nearly jumped out of her skin as her cousin Dolan grabbed her shoulders as he said that.

"Lan!" She admonished and tried to punch him but he danced out of her reach. "What's your damage?" She demanded of her younger cousin.

He was three years younger than her and Dani, the same age as her younger brother Vin and as much of a pain. In the nearly two weeks she had been there, Lan had managed to bug her into being in shape much as Vin had tried back home. They were a pain but she loved them.

"Your sophisticated European mate is coming soon. You need to be ready to defend him from the family. Your dad and Vin will be here soon so.." He once again grabbed her shoulders and shook her. "Look alive!"

This time she was ready and punched him in his gut, not a good idea as he was all muscle. "Ouch. Stupid idiot."

He laughed as he left her room and she heard him running down the stairs. Why had she left her door open anyway? She was already nervous and didn't need his idiocy to make it worse.

Wait! Had he said her brother and father were coming? Oh no! Then her father and uncle would interrogate him while Vin and Lan did everything to embarrass her. And Dani! She cringed as she thought of how her protective cousin would treat Andreas. She had to talk to them, she couldn't let them.

As she made her way down the stairs she met her grandmother coming up. Something about her Nana made her pause and when she looked up and smiled that something solidified to wariness. Cari stopped in her tracks like prey before a wolf. Everything in her wanted to backtrack into her room but she stayed still. After all, she was the wolf and her grandmother the human. At least she believed she was a wolf despite not being able to shift. If someone over six centuries old could still be called human.

"There you are, I was just coming to get you," Nana stated.

"I need to talk to Uncle Dan and wait for Dad to come." Cari tried to deflect as she inched around her.

"Your parents are already here," Nana informed.

"They are?"

"Yes, and we need to talk to you."

Apprehension grew inside her. "You do?"

"Yes, you're about to be mated and there're some things you'll need to know."