19

Andre

"You know we can't afford to start a fight with the dragons right?" His grandfather reminded as his fingers traced over the hilt of the sword resting on the desk before him.

It was bone white, simply because it was made of one. It was a little known secret that the paranormal royals and a few trusted ones knew about. Old swords made for them for the sole purpose of killing dragons. Each royal family had a pair, indestructible swords that were blood bound and could never be taken even if the family died out.

The secrets of how they came to be were only something the reigning monarchs knew about. Andre suspected the dragons had no idea the swords existed, like they had no idea the other races were the reasons they could no longer fully shift. He hated that he'd be the one to reveal the swords to them but the dragons couldn't be allowed to enslave them again.

Andre nodded knowing the truth of it. "We also can't afford to have the rest of the races see us as weak. Which is what they will think if he manages to take Cari away from me."

The king met his gaze with his accessing one. "True enough." He conceded after a while. "Which begs the question of what you're going to do."

Andre gave him a hard smile. "I'm going to sneak into Dragonheim."

The king's brow rose high, he leaned back and folded his arms. "You have a plan?"

"One that has a fifty fifty chance."

His grandfather gave him a rueful smile. "Your grandmother is going to kill us."

"Then she shouldn't have announced who I am and what Cari is."

"You know why she did that." His grandfather reminded him.

"It doesn't matter right now grandfather. What matters is if you're going to lend me the sword."

His eyes went back to the white intricately made hilt of the sheathed sword. It was the kind that'd have to be carried on his back. A broadsword. The scabbard was silver inlaid in defiance to their allergy to it. It was laminated with a hard clear wax but no one would know.

The king slid the sword across the desk. "Take it. Just don't die. I'll reach out to the dragon king and see if I can feel them out. Provided they even accept."

Andre stood then took up the heavy sword. He unbuckled the strap before placing it over his shoulder and rebuckling it. The leather was supple and old, with the scent of leather oil coming from it. "Thank you."

As he left the office that'd been set aside for his grandfather Andre wondered why the king hadn't even tried to stop him or at the very least tried to send a contingent of  warriors with him. Had Cari's grandmother also gotten to him? What did she know about his fate and could she really be setting him to it? How would Cari not be hurt if the prince of dragons was supposed to get what he needed?

Shaking his head at the questions he knew the woman wouldn't answer he made his way to the warriors' packhouse where his friends and Cari's kin had hopefully taken her former friend. He wasn't going to let anyone or anything stand in his way. Andre shuddered at the thought of having to grow up with a grandmother like Cari's. His was bad enough.

The packhouse he was going to was only a shirt distance from the Alpha's and he wasted no time in getting there. Each pack has several of these warrior houses, most around the Alpha house to be the last line of defense should the pack be attacked. This one had been set aside for the royal entourage and most of them were out guarding the royal personages and their courtiers.