17

Andre

Andre had thought he knew pain, had thought realizing the betrayal of a mate was painful. But he'd been wrong. Pain was being a breath away from saving the love of his life. It was watching as darkness swallowed up his love. Howling his helpless rage to an empty universe that was indifferent to him. It was tearing at the essence of that darkness and having it laugh at his attempts.

The world had closed in on him, dying and yet becoming more focused. Now that focus was trailed on finding her, on having her back in his arms. He was going to kill anyone who stood in his way. Starting with her sister.

He'd been shadowing his mate and her cousin, keeping his distance with the rest of her family while Dani acted as her spotter. A were was a bit dangerous on their first shift, to themselves as much as others. A close relative of the same sex had to run with them in human form to ensure nothing happened to them, and to help them shift back later.

He should've insisted on being closer, should've considered she might be in danger. He couldn't understand why Claire would think getting rid of Cari would have him choosing to be with her. Was she delusional?

"How can you treat me like this? I'm your true mate!"

Andre looked at the girl he should've ended up with and thanked all the powers that be that he was free of her. If he had his way, he'd never have been in the same room with her. From the first time he'd felt her with her chosen mate he'd wanted to wrap his hands around her treacherous neck and watch the life drain out of her eyes.

Had it not been for the fact that Cari still loved her he might have given in to that desire long back. Because of his restraint, she'd taken his mate from him and now all bets were off.

"Are you really that idiotic?" He asked with scorn. Large blue eyes blinked up at him with confused hurt, an artistic appeal that did nothing for him. It revolted him that she'd even try. "You mean nothing to me. The only thing I want from you is answers. What did you do with my mate?"

"I had nothing to do with her getting kidnapped!" She insisted.

"You are selfish, self centered, without any moral compass. You're also greedy which makes it so easy to believe you'd want to get rid of Cari. Do you really think I'll have anything to do with you without her?"

That seemed to get through her thick head so that she looked at him with fear. "I... I didn't have anything to do with her disappearance." Her eyes turned to her brother. "Vin, you have to believe me."

Vin looked back at her with a bland unemotional face. "I never thought you'd take Cari's mate and watch her suffer for years. Not only that, you took every chance to rub your relationship in her face."

Tears ran down her cheeks at that. "You always favored Cari over me." She cried out and this time Andre could sense her pain.

"Family isn't a competition Claire, you just never got the memo. Cari loves you, even with all you've done to her she still does. But all you do is betray her."

"But I didn't do anything." She emphasized.

As much as he didn't want to believe her, there was truth in her voice he couldn't deny. "Reapers were able to come onto this land." Andre grit out. "They had to be allowed onto it. Who else but you would want to do that?"

Her eyes widened, turning from one grim face to another as if searching for some support. She even tried hus friends Gabe and Richard but they looked at her with stony features, she trembled. As if it finally dawned on her that she couldn't sway them. Once again Andre wondered why she'd think she could.