13

Andre

"I hope it's nothing serious." Cari said once again as she looked around their bedroom.

She was already dressed and he could think of nothing else that she might need but she couldn't seem to keep still. He stopped her and took hold of her upper arms and she met his eyes. "Breathe." He told her and watched as she took in a deep breath. "Good. Dani is at the door and we can't keep her waiting any longer."

The anxiety in her eyes cleared a bit but she still looked frazzled. "You're right. But what if something is seriously wrong?"

"Then keeping her waiting won't change that. Besides I believe she would've mindsent the details if that were the case."

"Right. You're right." She held herself up more. "So lets go see what she wants. Then I can kill her."

Andre laughed at that. He wondered if his mate was any good at fighting. Even though she was of beta blood it didn't mean she'd be a warrior. Though the mountain packs tended to breed warriors on every social level.

"Everything is going to be fine." He soothed.

"I'll hold you to that." She grumbled as she let him lead her out.

He hoped he was right and it was nothing too serious. He rather doubted it since her cousin had seen fit to interrupt them. Andre doubted Dani was the kind to do that on a whim. She'd struck him as someone who'd be standing between them and anyone wanting to disturb them. Which meant this had to be something.

His mate went before him to open the door and he waited behind her. He didn't sense any danger and Dani's scent with its familial undertone was singular. As much as he wanted to protect his mate the last thing he wanted was to suffocate her. Which was what his instincts and wolf were urging. He needed to start learning to hold back early on otherwise he never would.

"Sorry guys." Dani said as soon as Cari opened the door. "The last thing I want is to disturb you."

"Is anyone hurt?" His mate was quick to ask.

"No, it's nothing like that."

Andre stood behind Cari near the opening to the rest of the cottage from the entryway. With Cari at the door, he couldn't as yet see her cousin. From their one conversation he had in mind a spitfire of a female who took no nonsense from anyone. He'd been looking forward to meeting the one female he knew was wholly on his mate's side.

"Well, come on in." Cari invited in that dry tone that let you know it was the last thing she wanted but she felt she had no choice. The kind of tone one used on someone they were close to and knew would let it be water on a duck's back.

His brow rose in surprise as Cari got out of the way to reveal a female who looked a lot like her. In some way she looked a lot alike to Cari than her own sister. Maybe it was their coloring.

Dani had a skin tone as dark as Cari but with a reddish tint and while her hair was as ruler straight it was black instead of chocolate. She was of the same height, about five feet eight, rather short when the average female of their race was five feet eleven. Dani was also just as curvy and though her face was more angular, she had the same high cheekbones and small nose with a slight upturn at the tip.

Though her looks gave the impression of warm softness just as his mate did, there was a stubborn set to her jaw and her eyes were incisive as they settled on him. He got the impression of being sized over, rather quickly, before she gave him a stunning smile.