26

Andre

She stood with her hands wrapped around her middle as she stared blankly at the garden below. Her back was straight even as the weight of the world seemed to be on her shoulders. Andre knew only that the dragon royal pair had told her of a way to break their bonds with their true mates. He knew Cari enough to know she wouldn't be eager to cause others pain, even those who'd hurt her.

"Your bath is ready astéri mou." he told her as he came to stand behind her.

"Thank you." She said as she turned to face him with a smile on her face. The smile was forced and wan, tiredness lining her eyes and her shoulders too stiff. As if she was struggling against the weight of the world.

With care, he took off her clothes, then his own before carrying her into the two-person jetted tub. He held her to him as the warm soothing water did its job, grateful when she relaxed against him. Taking up the sponge, he squirted some body wash onto it then ran it down her arm.

It was a slow sensual move that was meant to be that and soothing. She sighed, relaxing more against him, her heart speeding up a bit. He brought the sponge back up, then swiped it across her shoulders then down the other arm. He was rewarded with her breath coming in short.

It felt like a lifetime since the last time he'd made love to her, the last time she had been naked in his arms. All he wanted was to make slow passionate love to her, to have her clinging to him and hear her calling up his name like a prayer.

"What did the royal pair want from you?" He asked to distract them both.

Her legs shifted a restless shift that told him of how much she desired him. A smile broadened his lips, one he knew was rather smug. He kept on running the sponge over her delectable body as she told him about what the dragon pair had told her. Even when his anger was raised at the pain his mate had further endured, he kept his strokes on her body light.

He'd heard a bit of their plan to sever the bonds the four of them had and now hearing it all gave him pause. "What would you like to do about the bonds?" He questioned, knowing his mate was too kind-hearted to ever willfully cause anyone pain. Even her duplicitous sister.

"They said the consequences will not hit her until she's had her baby," Cari said in a small voice. "I don't even understand how she could be pregnant so young."

"It's the nature of our magic to limit the length some unworthy alphas get to lead a pack."

"Oh." Her voice was even smaller.

"I'm sorry astéri mou." He apologized, placing a kiss on her shoulder.

"You didn't do anything wrong."

"I'm sorry you have to make a decision on whether or not to hurt your sister." He explained.

"She felt nothing in hurting me. It should be an easy decision."

"The fact that it's not, makes you an amazing woman." He capped that with a light swipe over her left breast.

She took in a gasping breath, her hand going to clutch his thigh. "I doubt Claire will ever agree to let you go. If we don't break the bonds, then we get to feel some pain every time she and Xander make love." Her voice came out hoarse as she soldiered on.