25

Cari

Everything was rushing in on her. Too much knowledge to process. She couldn't be this Serenity her Nana was talking about, she just couldn't. Why would she be that important?

It was just a coincidence that she had the gift of serenity and her grandmother had to have given her that dream to substantiate her claims. There were no gods and no one had ever heard of the primes, not until now. It was all a nice little story that had nothing to do with her.

Why would Nana do this to her? Cari had thought her grandmother always had her back. Even knowing she could've said something when Cari was suffering the past ten years she'd given her the benefit of doubt. Now this?

"So you had Dani and I kidnapped?" She asked her Nana.

"Dani?" The dragon prince asked with a sharp look at her cousin.

Cari shot him a scathing look before turning back to her grandmother. "Yes." Her Nana replied.

For some reason that infuriated her. "Is that all you can say? Yes?" She demanded.

"You're all needed to be here." Nana stated. "As I said, you are needed to close the gates."

"And him thinking he had the right to sever my bond with Andre? Was that your doing too?" Cari only had to see the expression on her grandmother to know the answer to that. "Unbelievable!"

"Your wolf came in early. Dani no longer has hers. It was inevitable that Eric would think she was you."

"How dare you?!" The dragon prince erupted.

Nana turned her disturbingly frank gaze to the dragon. "Cari was right, your race has always labored under the delusion you were the pinnacle of creation. The primes placed the gates here and the gods convinced your people to make these mountains your home so that your power would keep them closed.

Power is cyclical though and when you became puffed up and managed to lose most of yours you caused the erosion of the seals on the gate. Manipulating your pride was the only way I could get you to have the others here."

"And I was what, supposed to just sit back whilst he forced himself on Dani?"

"Eric might have his faults but he'd never force himself on a female. He doesn't need to."

Cari was incredulous, her mouth hung open for a beat before she exploded. "What do you call forcing a mate bond on someone?"

"Cari..."

"You've gone too far Nana." Cari's cousin Lan interrupted their grandmother. "You know very well Dani will be shunned for being mated to a dragon and what that'll mean for her."

"Who are you?" Cari's brother Vin asked their grandmother in a deadly voice, speaking for the first time. "You're sacrificing Dani to these..." he flared about for a word that could encompass what he thought of the dragons and then ground out the next with venom. "...dragons. For what? Money? Did they pay you?"

For the first time since she appeared, their Nana's face turned thunderous. "I don't appreciate that Calvin. You should know me better."

"The defining character of our people is loyalty and you've shown none to Cari and Dani." Vin replied with sadness. "Why would we even listen to anything you have to say?"