20

Cari

It was all there in the books, her life. The words resonated within her, making a painful kind of sense. She could do nothing but scan word after word with her eyes. It was too much and yet not enough. Even though it was disturbing that the dragons had so much about her she could now understand why they'd kidnapped her.

She sat down hard.

"Cari, look at this." Her cousin said in a fearful voice as she handed her another book.

Cari absently exchanged books with Dani, failing to see the questioning look in her cousin's eyes. On the open page was a rune circle with six points. On each of the points were written words she quickly assumed represented people.

Serenity was written at the top point with song to the right and sympathy to the left. She had the gift of serenity, Dani was song and her former friend Annie had one of sympathy. Across from serenity was power. Song had chaos across from it and sympathy had time. The purpose of the rune was to open the gates to Azmodea, the prison where all the monsters had been sent to by the ancient dragons.

Was that what they wanted to do? Cari looked up to meet Dani's horrified gaze. Could the dragon prince already know Dani was the song the circle needed? She looked back at the inscription beneath the circle.

The hidden one shall be the key to finding the six, hence why she was hidden for all time. It is foretold that fate shall intervene and bring her into the worlds. Wait for her emergence for only she is meant to draw the prime powers into existence. And whosoever has the primes shall shape the worlds. And the six shall deliver them.

"We have to get out of here." She whispered to her cousin as all the blood drained from her.

"Let's scan as much of this as we can." Dani countered as she took out her phone.

As much as Cari just wanted to leave, she couldn't deny Dani was right. They'd need this to find a way to stop the dragons, to convince the other races to band together once more and stop them. The dragons and their thirst for power! Why couldn't they leave well enough alone?

"Does this mean Nana is somehow tied to fate?" She asked Dani.

"She is a knower. It makes sense."

"But how did she bring my soul out if the well? Isn't it supposed to generate new soul? Does it mean I'm a reborn soul if I was imprisoned in it? Did I do something wrong in my past life?" Cari continued asking.

"I don't know." Dani admitted. "We'll figure it out."

With a hard swallow Cari turned to scan the book she still held. Luckily it wasn't a big book and she was soon done. The book Dani was scanning was bigger and without looking up she pointed to another. Cari sighed and took that on.

She became aware of time, every grain of it trickling down the barrel. Her senses stretching as far as they could to sense if any of the dragons were searching for them. She knew it wouldn't be long until they were missed. As her senses stretched out, she was aware they were more limited than usual.

Stupid dragons!

Cari stopped for a moment, realizing that she had her phone. Placing the book back down she opened her message box then frowned. There wasn't a single message in there even though her network bar was full.

She clicked on her facebook icon and while it loaded, there were no new messages. Considering how she'd had to switch off her notifications just so she could sleep that didn't make sense.