28

Andre

Cari's feelings overwhelmed him. He wanted to hold her to him, to comfort her but knew better. She had to do this on her own. As much pain as Claire had caused him, what she'd done to Cari was worse. Though the pain etched on his mate's beautiful face had him reconsidering staying back.

She stood over the beaten down Claire with her back straight, her head held high in that defensive way. Whilst her features were hard, her pain and reluctance were easy to see. "Then what are you going to do my cowardly little sister?" Claire mocked with a smug grin that looked worse because of her bloody mouth. "Your mate already tried to imprison me and look how well that turned out."

"Do you know what happened to Dani's mate?" Cari asked in a cold voice.

Claire snarled. "He lost it rather than spend a lifetime with her?"

A cold smile found itself on his mate's face. "No," she paused for dramatic effect. "I did. And I'm going to send you to the same happy place."

Whatever Cari meant seemed to alarm Claire and she tried to scramble away as Cari came closer. The blue that took over his mate's eyes whenever her power rose became an aura around her body, Claire backpaddled faster. With an outstretched hand, Cari's power lashed out and bound the love goddess.

"Hush now dear sister," his mate said as she took a small step forward, her voice so gentle it had everyone drawing closer to hear its sweet tone. "You're alright now, no need to fight." Andre was awed as he saw Claire start to relax even as fire still burned in her eyes, desperate denial of what she could no longer control. "You can rest now, look around, everybody loves you."

Claire looked around her, at the people who were in the arena. Andre did the same thing, saw them looking at Claire with wariness, even at him and Cari. Claire though seemed to see something else, a beatific smile formed on her face, tears of happiness clouding her blue eyes. She gave in to an awed happy laugh. 

"They all love me." she declared in wonder. She laughed again before looking at Cari with a bit of trepidation. "Will you stand in my way again?" she challenged.

For all its sadness, the smile that came to his mate was so beautiful it almost brought tears to his eyes, Claire wept at the sight of it. "How can I stand in your way Claire, I too love you." his mate's voice was like a breeze, an embrace that showed no judgement or fault.

Andre saw when Claire finally gave in, she smiled again before she stood and took on a regal poise. A benevolent look came over her face, one that was lined with smug superiority. He shuddered at the vanity that look held and looked away to avoid the sympathy for her that wanted to rise.

His eyes fell onto the dragon prince, sitting in the front row. An enigmatic look was on his face as he looked from Andre's mate to Claire, as if he was just realising the same fate would've been his if he'd managed to claim Cari. That it might still be his for ensnaring his mate's beloved cousin. As if sensing Andre's gaze, Eric turned his way. For a long moment, the two looked at each other, assessing. Then as if at some signal, they both looked away. While Andre would've preferred to have nothing to do with the dragon now that he had his mate with him, he knew he was far from done with the prince of dragons.

 "Wait." He turned to see Cari's grandmother ushering Claire away, treating her as if she were a queen. Then his eyes went to his mate, to her raised head and calm face that hid a wealth of pain and recriminations. Neither of them though; had been the one to speak.

Andre looked about and saw a new person now on the stage. Something about the dark-haired woman had his instincts flaring, a reaction to some danger. She had a gaunt beauty to her, with eyes that held darkness and a detachment that chilled Andre. "I mean you and yours no harm," she stated as she held his gaze. Then her voice became cold, "But that one is another matter." She said of Claire.