18

Cari

A heavy weight was holding her spirit down. Sinking it into a bottomless pit where it detached from her body and she watched helplessly as she sank away from it. She opened her mouth to scream, but she had no voice. Her muscles locked, though how she had muscles to lock was a mystery.

The darkness surrounding her deepened until it was tangible. It leached her mind as she fought to hold on to who she was, fought to keep the memories of her loved ones. Even her identity oozed slowly out of her. It clung to her as she fell. Instead of seeing it as a hold to her fall, Cari's heart became heavy in fear. Primal knowledge told her it was dangerous, fatal if she became tangled in it.

Unfortunately, there was nothing she could do. Her being was heavy, holding her immobile as she sped into the dark abyss. Black strands stuck to her, seeping into her. She felt there more than she saw them. In no time her being was held in them. Even her eyes were clouded over, as was her kind. She relaxed as her will deserted her at last.

She existed.

Time held and yet nothing happened.

Until a voice intruded on her peace. "This is where I found you before." It said softly.

Heavy lids fought to part as curiosity sparked in the emptiness that she was. She marvelled at the fact that she was and thought about that for a moment before her eyes opened to look up at the comforting face looming over her.

"Who are you?" She questioned as she stared up at the ancient brown eyes.

"This' a memory Cari, don't get lost in it."

She frowned. "Nana? Wha...where are we?"

"The well of souls."

She blinked as the fog over her mind slowly dissipated. "You gave me a straight answer?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because I overstepped and interfered in your fate."

She sat up, though there seemed to be no up, down or any direction. There was something ominous in that, something final. "What do you mean?"

"I went against the others in taking you out of this well. You and the others are needed if the races are to survive but they couldn't see it. They finally heard my plan and agreed to it as long as I didn't interfere in your fate. But I did."

"How? Nana will you just explain please!"

"The dragon prince had to find you and Dani but he wasn't going to so I led him to you."

"You...?"

"Yes. I came to say goodbye."

"Nana..." she cried.

"There're consequences to everything Cari, sometimes even the good things we do. I need you to remember what happened here and that only a few souls are reborn. It's important."

"Why?"

"I'll lead you out again. Once you wake up, you'll need to find the dragon's library."

"What?"

Her Nana grabbed her arm and with remarkable speed, she led her up the dark well until they saw light up above. The dark was just as vicious, doing its all to hold on to her. They splashed into the light, living light that seemed wet and yet not. They burst out and Cari took a deep breath and looked around at the dark plane she found herself in.