Chapter - 20

Kids were talking to Sachin from the moment they entered the car. They admire him a lot. He is like a father figure for them. After chatting for a while, they both fell asleep.

Meera: "Did you get these car seats? Even the last time we talked, dad was completely against it."

Sachin: "Nope. Uncle bought it. I just helped him to fix it."

Meera: "Thank God! I know Dad and Mom might think I'm being fuzzy. But I can't help it. I don't want to take any risk."

Sachin: "Don't worry. They know you very well."

Meera sighed.

Meera rechecked whether Jo and Jeff are asleep or not. Those two are little news reporters, and she doesn't want them to hear the conversation she is going to have with Sachin. After ensuring that they both are deep asleep, she turned to Sachin.

Meera: "So, how are things at home? What is everyone's reaction? I'm scared Sachi. Never thought there would come a day when I am scared to go home and face my family!"

Sachin sighed and told "They haven't accepted it yet. But I'm sure they will. I have trust in these little Monsters. So don't worry Mimi."

Meera chuckled at thought of her kids interacting with her Grandpa. She knows that her grandpa is not a stone-hearted person as he portrays himself to be and he will love her kids eventually.

A strong breeze of nostalgia hit her, hearing Sachi's pet name for her, 'Mimi'. She reminisced how Sachin started calling her 'Mimi' as he couldn't pronounce 'Meera' completely and she used to call him 'Achi' as she also couldn't pronounce his name correctly. Each other's names were the first words they both said after 'Mom' when they started talking. They have always considered themselves twins. Even, everyone in their school thought they are twins until a few of their friends saw both of their parents during their higher secondary admission process. But, even now they prefer to introduce themselves as twins to others. Apart from the height difference, they both have similar features.

Meera: "Anyway, thanks for booking a late-night flight. At least I will have time till morning to face them."

Sachin grinned at her and said he did it purposefully as he thought she could at least take a rest after a long flight.

Meera: "Shall we have dinner somewhere nearby? Kids didn't have anything on the flight. They must be hungry."

Sachin: "There is one new restaurant ahead. We'll probably reach there in 10min."

As soon as he finished talking, Sachi's phone started ringing.

Sachin: "Hello, Yes we were discussing that. OK, We'll be there in 10 minutes. You guys go ahead and order for us too." He turned to me and asked what I want to have for dinner and I told him to tell the kids to order for me and he told Nakul to order something for him too.

Once we entered the restaurant, Nakul told Sachin that he got surprised at how well the kids talk in Malayalam*, Meera's mother tongue. Then he told that when the kids ordered a spicy dish, the waiter suggested a less spicy one and Jaiky replied to him in Malayalam that they are comfortable with spicy dishes. When the waiter came back with the dishes, he had a bright and shy smile on his face. They even offered them complimentary desserts.

While having dinner, my focus was on Jaidy. He seems to be disturbed and he is trying not to call me 'Mamma'. To know what is the issue, after having dinner, I informed Sachin that we'll be outside and took Jaidy near our car.

Meera: "What happened Jaidy? Don't tell me it's nothing. I know there is something. Why are you not calling me 'Mumma'"?

His eyes widened for a moment. Then he held his head down and told me more like a whisper

Jaidy: "When I called you 'Mumma' earlier in the airport, I heard one lady next to us telling someone with her that you are a shameless girl who got pregnant at her teenage and how embarrassed your family would be. I didn't want anyone else to think about you like that."

I hugged him and told "Listen Jaidy. YOU ARE MY SON! And if someone says that I got pregnant with you when I was a teenager, I would be the happiest person because at least that person feels you are my kid, that I gave birth to you and You have no idea how much that means to me. And if someone thinks bad about us, it is their perspective's problem. All of us don't think in the same way. So don't bother. You have no idea how hurt I was when you were not calling me 'Mamma' for these last few hours. Whom are you bothered about? Me or those strangers? If it is me, then please don't stop calling me 'Mamma' until my last breath'. I kissed him on his forehead.

Jaidy: "I'm sorry Mumma. I won't do it. I love you, Mamma. I won't care about others anymore."

Meera: "Thank you darling and Love you too."I kissed him once more on his forehead and we hugged each other. I wiped the tears that were threatening to fall from his eyes. By that time, others too joined us. We didn't tell them anything and got into our respective cars.

*Malayalam – native language of Kerala, a southern state in India.