Chapter - 37

Sujatha: "She is so nice and the kids are so adorable. I'm sure Daksha would love playing with Jo and Jeff. I wish she was single. I would have asked for her hand in marriage."

Sujatha was on a video call with her daughter, Nayana, and was sharing yesterday's details.

They left Meera's place the next day after breakfast. Since last weekend's family time spent at his place, clearing up his rooms, there wasn't any mess, which had surprised Sujatha. Knowing her son very well, she was expecting the worst!

After dropping her off at home, the father-son duo had gone to buy groceries and other necessary items, while she chatted with her daughter.

Nayana: "Isn't she?" she teased her mother, earning a glare from the latter.

By then the men were back, and she went to open the door after disconnecting the call.

Nakul: "Here mom, granny is asking for you. She tried to call, but couldn't reach you." Nakul handed over his phone to Sujatha.

Sujatha: "Hello Mom. No, I was talking to Nayana. Ya... just an hour back. I told you we were at his friend's place."

Madhavi: "But you didn't tell me that it was Meera! I wanted to talk to her! Tell her to call me when you see her next time. Ok?"

Sujatha: "How do you know her?"

Madhavi: "Oh! Ya... Leave that and tell me, did you like her? Have you met her kids?" Hearing the excitement in her mother's tone, and the way she was diverting the topic, Sujatha was confused.

Sujatha: "Yes, She is a good girl and the kids are lovely too. But I didn't know that you have met them."

Madhavi: "I have met only Meera. But I wish I could meet her kids too! Suji, Don't you think she would be a great match for Nakul?

Sujatha: "MOM! What are you saying? She is a good girl. No doubt in that. But, she is off the limits! She has kids MOM!!"

Madhavi: "So? This is why I didn't tell you when they both came here. I don't understand why you are like this even after living there for so many years! Anyway, he has promised me, and I will stand by his side. Think whatever you want."

Sujatha: "What are you saying, Mom? Who promised what? And I'm sorry that not everyone is ultra-modern like you! Moreover, you know how Ravi's parents are! So please don't drill anything into Nakul's head for God's sake!"

Madhavi: "Sorry dear. You are late by a few months. He is already working on it and don't you dare stop him! I don't care about what they think. I want them to be happy and just play with my great-grandkids! Probably I should also come there and spend some time with my great-grandchildren! Wow! Let me check the tickets. Ok, will call you later. Bye... And don't forget to ask Meera to call me." Sujatha didn't know whether her mother was pulling her leg or being real!

She thought of confronting Nakul and went to the living room to clear her doubts.

Sujatha: "Nakul, Is Meera your girlfriend?"

Nakul: "What? No... Not yet!" He shrugged.

Sujatha: "What do you mean by not yet?"

Nakul: "Means, she is not my girlfriend right now. But might be in the future!"

Sujatha: "No she won't and listen to me carefully. If you have any such plans, drop them right now because that will never happen and I wouldn't agree to it! I thought she was such a nice girl and now I get that you both were trying to impress me! No way!"

Nakul: "No Mom, she doesn't even know that I like her in that way. She thinks of me as a good friend and please don't talk to her about this. I'm trying my best to somehow convince her and if you hinder it in any way, I will never forgive you, Mumma! I'm serious about her and the kids. I love her and the kids and if she agrees, they will be in my life. So please get ready to accept it!" He dashed into his room, closing the door behind.

Sujatha sat there crying while RaviSankar tried to console her.

Ravi: "Suji... He is big enough to decide for himself. If he likes her, let them be together. Come on, dear. After all, their happiness matters right?"

Sujatha: "Why do you think I don't care about his happiness? But there could be another girl who can be a better match! Have you thought about how your parents and sister will react? They will only blame me and my upbringing!"

Ravi: "Oh dear, No they won't. He is their grandson. They also wish for his happiness. I will talk to them. They will understand." Sujatha scoffs.

Sujatha: "Ya... Right! Your family is so lovely and why should I bother about it. I know you have never believed me, but I'm not ready to face their tantrums and blames!" Ravi gets angry hearing about his family. Though it has been years, his family is always a sore topic among them and they end up fighting!

Ravi: "Why are you bringing them in this? Yes, I agree that they wouldn't accept it easily, but they are not cunning people like you are portraying! Anyway, leave it! I support him. Do whatever you want. But be sure that you wouldn't regret it later!"

Ravi belonged to an orthodox family unlike Sujatha's and they never got along well due to the ideological differences. Though they had never expressed it in front of Ravi, his family had ill-treated and had verbally abused Sujatha many times because of her unconventional behaviors. Settling in the US was her escape route to have a peaceful and happy family! Even when it was an arranged marriage, and the families had similar status, caste, religion, and everything, they were poles apart when it came to their outlook on life. After trying to convince Ravi for a while, she had given up realizing that there is no point as for him, his family is always right! She did the only thing she could do and that was to maintain a safe distance from them and ignore their sadistic comments!

Nakul had heard their fight and thought of supporting his mother as he knew that she was right in some ways. But fearing he would say something out of anger that he might regret later, he laid in his bed thinking of ways to convince his mother.