Chapter - 22

From the upstairs corridor of the outhouse itself, I could see the person sitting on the armchair, on the veranda of the main house, reading the newspaper. My grandpa!!! Though he is a strict person, he has always been a loving grandpa for us. It is always the person who loves you the most, gets hurt easily. I'm ready to face his scoldings. I just pray that our presence shouldn't give him any health issues. After all, too much stress is not good for a 93-year-old person. Though he is healthy for his age, I don't want to take the risk.

Sachin: "Grandpa." Grandpa didn't lift his head or look in our direction. He just hummed in return.

Sachin: "Meera is here, they reached yesterday night. The kids are sleeping, and they will come down later with Nakul." He said warily, worrying about grandpa's reaction.

I just stood there looking at him, fidgeting with my fingers. He has aged a lot in the last 5 years. I missed him a lot... Those bright smiles and warm affectionate welcoming hugs and kisses. The way he used to call me lovingly as soon as he sees me. I miss that!

I controlled my tears. I don't want to be weak in front of him. I know he is putting an act and his pride is hurt and it is not letting him accept me. He loves me a lot. I know that, and I have said sorry a million times in my mind.

Grandpa: "Hmm... Savithri told me that your guests are coming. Have they settled well? You must take care of your guests well. Ensure they have a good stay and if you want anything, ask for Vasu's help. At the mention of Vasu Uncle, a smiling face filled with warmth flashed through my mind. He has been the caretaker of this house for a long time, probably from the time when our parents were kids! He is like a grandpa to us. We even call him Vasu grandpa! At the mention of his name, I realized how many people, who are close to my heart, I have missed in the past five years!

Grandpa: "Huh!!! how many times should I tell you to not put the pole next to the plant? It will get damaged. Why can't you use your brains?" He stood up angrily and left, shouting to the people who came to put a tent in the front yard for the visitors, who comes for the wedding reception to sit.

Thank god!! Even if he 'guest ' zoned me intentionally, clearly stating that I'm not family anymore, the situation wasn't tensed thankfully!!

Though I was reluctant to go inside earlier, as I am a 'guest', I indirectly got permission to enter the home. So we both went inside. In every Indian household, it is easy to locate the women in the house. We just have to enter the kitchen! And for us too, that was the destination, the coast was clear until the kitchen. As soon as I entered the kitchen, I got embraced by none other than the Queen of this household, my grandma.

Grandma: "Oh my darling, you are here!! I missed you, my child!!"

She held my face in both the palms and kissed my forehead. She smiled with tear-filled eyes.

Hearing her, others in the kitchen too faced me. After kissing back my grandma I noticed the presence of others. My mom and Sumitra Aunty (Sachin's mom), came to hug me and kissed me. They are also crying. They asked about kids and Sachin told them that he will go and bring them downstairs.

I exchanged pleasantries with 'Valsala Aunty' who was there in the kitchen, and I smiled at the other two ladies who were peeping from the other side of the opened door towards the backyard.

Valsala Aunty is the sous-chef cum helper cum all in all of this household, after Vasu grandpa!

She has been here from our childhood and has become a member of our family over time. The other two ladies must be here to help during the wedding time. I haven't seen them earlier! The way they were looking at me made me feel like an animal in the zoo!! but these things are inevitable and I know, I have become the hot topic of discussion for them and they are going to pass their judgments and rumors on me to others.

I enquired about dad and went to see him and Ramu Uncle( Sachin's dad). They were getting ready to go to work. Due to wedding preparations, they have been traveling to work from here, and since it is a long drive, whenever they go to work from here, they usually leave early and reach late.

They both gave me a warm hug and kiss and asked about kids. Just when I was about to answer, the kids' sound came from the living room, and we moved towards the room.

They might not be comfortable without me. It is a new environment with unknown people. I was moving faster when I heard laughter from the room. I saw my mom, granny, and aunt hugging and kissing the kids. Jeff and Jo were talking something animatedly to my granny and Jaidy, who is my mamma's boy, was holding her shoulder, and Jaiky and Jessi too were talking with both mom and Sumitra Aunty.

Kids ran to my dad as soon as they saw him and they also got acquainted with Ramu Uncle. Thankfully everything went smoothly unlike I have feared. Sachi came and stood beside me holding my shoulder, ensuring that everything will be fine. I smiled at him for the gesture.

We all went to have breakfast. The room suddenly became full of life and everyone is having happy faces, which vanished and became tensed when my grandpa came inside. He cleared his throat to inform his presence and everyone became stiff, apart from Jeff and Jo, who were focused on removing the mustard seeds from their coconut chutney!!

Grandpa: "Savithri get me a glass of water." He drank the water and scanned the room and left without a word.

Everyone sat awkwardly until Jeff announced the number of mustard seeds he got. He was having a competition with Jo and he got two more than Jo's which made him the winner!!! I hope they entertain themselves like this in the future too while staying here!!!

With their arguments, the room became lively again.