Chapter - 29

Time flew by quickly, and it is already the day before the wedding! Almost all the close relatives will reach by today evening and that is what Meera dreads the most! It doesn't mean that passed by days were any lesser.

Until the night they came back to grandpa's after the wedding shopping, everybody was happy and everything was fine. Unfortunately, on the next day morning, grandpa's youngest sister, Sarada, had arrived for the wedding, and there started the bad days for Meera as well as the kids!

She was always behind the kids, finding out some fault or the other, always complaining, arguing with them! It extended to the point that Sachin had to warn her that they are foreign nationals and it is a serious offense to harass them! But after that, she just focused on Meera as it wouldn't cause her any damage! Meera just ignored her as she knew there is no point in arguing with her. There was one more person, who wasn't comfortable around Sarada, none other than Nakul! She was extremely sweet to him, to the point that he got scared and run for his life whenever he sees her!

Apart from that, the days were good. Kids got closer to everyone, day by day, except Sarada. Even, grandpa started acknowledging them and interacts with them whenever he thinks that nobody is around, but almost everyone had seen this and chose to remain quiet!

Since Sachin was busy with the wedding preparations, the kids mostly spend time with Nakul. Even Jo and Jeff liked to play with him. Nakul too was enjoying his time with kids. He never thought he would be so good with kids. With each day passing by, they got closer, and also with Meera, Nakul's bonding was improving, to the extent that he would easily spot her presence in a crowd! Though he never realized this, Sachin had noticed it and is keenly observing their interactions. He could see their chemistry, but he didn't confront Nakul, as he is still doubtful of his inference.

Other than Sarada, things were fine for both Meera and Nakul, until two bombs were dropped on them by Savitri and Sumitra!

First was Nakul's turn, when they asked his opinion on marrying one of Meera's cousin, Salini's elder daughter, Kavya. She is the great-granddaughter of Sarada, and she had asked Sumitra and Savitri to talk to him about this! He had met her on the day when she and her mother came to drop Sarada, and he hated their guts the moment they ignored Meera and her kids! He was shocked to hear this, as he didn't see this coming. He rejected it immediately glaring at Meera and Sachin who was on a laughing fit at his expense!

Next was Meera's turn, which had resulted in an entirely different set of emotions! Once Sumitra proposed the alliance with Kiran, Sachin started shouting at his mother, while Meera was hurt and disappointed at them for even proposing it! She outright rejected it and never let them coerce her into it. After knowing about this, both Meera's dad and uncle were upset with their wives. Nakul too was angry, annoyed, and restless when he came to know about it. But he realized that his problem is not with the person, but with the thought of Meera getting married!

Since Meera knew her mother wouldn't convey her rejection soon, thinking of ways to convince her, Meera asked Kiran to meet her. The meeting didn't happen as Sarada had already updated Sankar on the happenings and he stopped Kiran from meeting Meera. Instead, he came to meet her, along with Kiran to convince her.

Shekar: " Dear, please listen to us. You are young, and you might think everything will go like this in the future too... But it is not like that. Look at us, are our kids with us? If not for our partners, we wouldn't be all alone in this world. Now you are our child, how can we see you suffer darling? Why don't you try to understand from our shoes! How can we be at peace, when we know our child doesn't have anyone by her side?" Hearing his words, Savithri, Sumitra, and grandma wiped their tears and Sarada sneered at them discreetly. 'Coincidentally', when they came no men in the family were available at home, including Nakul and the kids! So, Meera didn't have anyone to be by her side.

Meera: "Sorry Uncle, He is my brother. I cannot marry him" She tried to be as polite as possible! She was losing her patience at their stubbornness!

Shekar: "We know dear, for your generation, it is not acceptable! Even we used to treat each other like that but we obeyed our elders. Also, these things still happen in society, and you will get used to each other. Isn't it better than being with a stranger? Think dear... Who else will be there? If you find a stranger in the future, what guarantee is that he will take care of your kids? We are family. You know Kiran from childhood, he will look after your kids, after all, they are part of our family, and we have to be there for each other!"

Meera was exasperated and Kiran was standing aside, enjoying the show!

Meera: "You are right Uncle, the family! After all, I very well know the importance of a family and how much my family members value each other! Please don't mind Uncle, but I would rather prefer a stranger than someone from my family! I have seen how supportive my family members are and thankfully Sarada grandma is even reminding me of it daily!" She chuckled sarcastically and continued " And, as you said, I know Kiran and his shenanigans from childhood, probably more than anyone else in this room! So please, don't force me to spit it out." Kiran was fuming in anger at this moment and if not for Savitri, he would have blasted at Meera right then.

Savitri: "Meera... Stop it! Is this the way to talk to your elders? Don.." Meera didn't let her complete.

Meera: "Then what should I do Mom? Let the elders spoil my life? I'm sorry Mom, in all of your eyes, I might be being rude, but trust me I'm nowhere near that. If you all don't stop this nonsense and leave me alone, then you might know how rude my words can be! Right now, I'm defending myself since none of you are doing it for me!"

Her mom was going to reprimand her when Shekhar interrupted, fearing his son might lose control and spoil his plan.

Shekhar: "No Savitri. She is right. We shouldn't have proposed it. After all, my son is a simple villager, not someone eligible for a girl like her. Sorry dear, we were only thinking about securing your life. Please forgive us..." His eyes became teary and he wiped his eyes, which made Savitri, much angrier at her daughter! But Meera didn't let her intervene.

Meera: "Thank you Uncle for your 'concern'. But I'm leading a secure life, and I'm happy the way I'm." Shekar and Kiran understood the sarcasm in her words, which others didn't catch.

Kiran: "Enough Dad! How much more are we going to bend? Who the hell do you think? Huh? How dare you insult us? If not for us, you would be dying all alone somewhere in this world. You should be grateful for our offer! You whore!" He was stopped with a tight slap on his face, from none other than Meera's mom. Sarda was going to snap at Savitri but was silenced by Saraswathi's glare.

Savitri: "Get out! How dare you talk to my daughter like that? You know what? Shekar, you are right. Your son is an imbecile who doesn't deserve my daughter! I don't know what I have seen in this moron! Get out and don't you dare come near my child or her kids!OUT!" She extended her arm towards the door, gesturing them to leave, and without any choice, son and father duo had to leave!

Savitri: "I'm sorry dear... I was so worried that I couldn't think rationally... Please forgive me, darling." She cried hugging Meera, while Meera wiped her tears and consoled her. Thankfully, others didn't return until an hour later, and the ladies decided not to mention the earlier events to them. Since Sarada didn't want to reveal the embarrassing moment to anyone, she too chose to be quiet!