Chapter-4

It was nothing like we expected. Chris and Susan were already gone. Chris died on the spot, and Susan survived till her c-section. Kids were safe, and they told us about the newborn twins. The babies were supposed to come by next week. I was hoping to see them before going to India. But, I never wanted it this way. When I got two treasures, I lost two others.

One nurse took us to the Kids room. As soon as they saw me, came running to me and hugged me. Since we were neighbors, Susan and Chris used to drop the kids at my place whenever they had the same work shifts. These last two years, we had spent a lot of time together, and we are very close to each other. They are like my own niece and nephews. I told them everything is fine and that their babies are here, a Lil brother and sister. They were excited to see the babies. I put them to sleep after they had dinner.

I could not control my tears after looking at their faces. OMG!!My kids!!! What will happen to them? Who will take care of them?? Will they be sent to an orphanage? I knew both Susan and Chris were orphans. So, they did not have anyone to take care of the kids. I stepped out of the room so that I would not wake them up. I saw Vishal standing with a police officer, and I went and sat near Neena.

Vishal and the officer came towards us.

Vishal: Meera, He has got something to discuss with you.

I looked at the officer.

Officer: Hi, Ms. Ragunathan. I am sorry for your loss. I am here to inform you that the parents have mentioned your name in their Will as the testamentary guardian for the kids. Are you willing to take care of the kids? or should we put them under foster care?

I felt relieved and shocked at the same time. I am happy that my kids will be safe. But, at the same time, how will I decide this alone? I am getting married in 2 weeks. Oh, GOD!!!! I did not know what to say. He said I have some time to figure it out, and also, it is up to the court to decide whether I will get their custody or not. I will discuss it with my family later and decide. I am sure that I do not want them to be in foster care.

Thankfully I had the contact number of Lizzy, who is their friend. I informed her about the accident, and she had conveyed it to their other friends. They took care of hospital procedures and planned to do the cremation after two days. The kids were sleeping, and I had forced Neena to go back home as she is six months pregnant. I have to tell my family about this.

I called Vivek. He picked up the call after a few rings.

Vivek: "Hello, darling. How did you know that I just reached home? Are you spying on me, dear?"

I could not control my tears after hearing his voice, and I started crying.

Vivek: "Hey...Meera dear, what happened? Are you OK?"

He got panicked, hearing my outburst. I tried to control my tears.

Meera: "Vivek...Susan and Chris are gone. They met with an accident."

I told him in between my sobs. For a while, there was silence at the other end. I know that he is taking his time to process what I have told him.

Vivek: "Oh...God! How are the kids? Are they safe? How are you? Is there anyone with you?"

Everyone at my home knows how much I am attached to the Mathews family. They were even planning to attend my wedding until they confirmed that Susan was pregnant.

Meera: "Kids are safe..and... Susan gave birth to their twins just before her last moment. Neena and Vishal were here till now. They just went home, and I am staying with kids in the hospital. They will get discharged by tomorrow. I have no idea what to do Vivek."

Vivek: "Hey..calm down, darling. If you panic, then who will support the kids? They need you now. Be bold for them. I wish I could have been there with you. Have you talked to your parents?"

Meera: "No. Vivek, I do not know how they will accept this news with the wedding coming along..."

I did not have to complete my sentence as I know Vivek understood my concern.

Vivek: "Hey, do not worry, dear... I will talk to them. I will even try to convince them to postpone the wedding date if you want."

I got angry with what he had said. Here five kids have lost their parents, I have lost two of my close friends, and he is worried about the wedding.what does he mean by 'if I want'? Does he expect me to go back and attend my wedding as nothing has happened?

Even though I got angry hearing his words, I can not blame him as a wedding is not a simple occasion in our place. As per the custom, the wedding expenses have to be met by the parents of the bride. Since I am their single child, my mom and dad had already spent a lot of money. Also, relatives and friends would not take the news lightly.

Meera: I would not be able to come before the wedding, and I am not at all in a mood to do it, and there is one more thing I want to tell you. Susan and Chris have suggested my name as the Kids testamentary guardian.

Vivek: "What?"