Epilogue

"Is this how you felt during my wedding, Ma?"

Meera asked her mother while sipping their morning tea in the inner courtyard of her ancestral home. Savitri nodded but soon replied with a scowl.

"Oh dear, with you, more than sorrow and anxiety, it was peace and immense gratitude towards that young man over there!"

Meera chuckled and glanced at the man standing on the veranda with the worrisome expression of a bride's father, who must let go his little angel, the next day!

Just like yesterday, she remembers how Nakul had proposed her twenty years back and their wedding on the summer next year, in this same ancestral home, as per her grandparents' requests.

Though people had their speculations and gossips, eventually, they accepted that he was not going anywhere, especially when Jhanvi was born after three years!

She was a surprise kid, and both Meera and Nakul were worried about how the kids will react and will they feel less loved once the baby was born!

But, Jaidy became the bridge they needed whenever insecurities peeped into their life.

Thankfully, none of them were too adventurous. Still, kids are kids, and parents should always be alert to catch the boomerangs at every point!

Let it be Jaidy's heartbreak or later introducing his darling wife, Sophie. Jaiky's confused sexuality stages and introducing his sweetheart Marian, Jessi's rebel period, Jo and Jeff's blowups and competitiveness, and Jhanvi, the youngest pampered,overprotected rebel! Each of them had their set of surprises for their parents! Luckily, they all had passed through those struggling stages. But life, as we know it, is a never ending battle!

Savitri: "It's ok to worry, darling. As you know by now, life will go on with its twists and turns, and we need to get adapted, and being a parent, the only thing we can do is to assure them that we have their back. And you don't have to worry about that because each grandchild of mine knows that they have a battalion behind them to support!"

They both chuckled while Meera shook her head, thinking about her kid's antics! Though the kids fight every 10 minutes like any other sibling in this world, they love each other a lot, and for that, Meera is forever grateful to God! They should never fall apart, and that is all she wishes!

Meera: "I know, Mom... And Mom, I'm sorry for making you both worried. I'm not sorry for choosing my kids then, but you know..." with a shrug, she continued, "I knew you both were in pain, but now with Jessi and her spinsterhood I'm getting a hint of it, though it is nowhere near the worries I had given you... Whenever I get worried about her, I feel guilty that I made you feel worse! I'm sorry, Mom."

Savitri hugged her and said, " But like you, I don't want it to be any other way too! Yes, I wish I could have been rational and supportive then! That is something I regret every day and will do for the rest of my life. But I can't think about a life without them, and thanks for giving me such awesome grandkids, and I mean it. And as I said, darling, each parent will have something or the other to worry about their kids. We can only pray to be the best at it!"

Meera understood whatever her mother was saying. However, each curve of life is a new learning experience! And this time, it is to accept that your little girl has grown up and is starting her own family! She knows it is not like Jo is going away, and she will always be a part of this family, lessons learned from Jaidy and Jaiky's marriages! Still, the first time one of her daughters is getting married, and that feels like a whole new experience!

Meera knew it was a bitter pill she must swallow!

Meera was deep in her thoughts when Nakul came to their room with a cover in his hand.

Nakul: "She is not going anywhere, darling." He back-hugged her and rested his head on the crook of her neck. She scowled at him and said, "convince yourself first!" They both chuckled and shook their head.

Nakul: "Ya... I thought it would be easy after Jaidy and Jaiky. But why is it so hard and different each time? Oh God, it is much harder than her puberty. How am I going to trust this man with my daughter? And knowing that she has to make her path as we have done, those two kids alone on that road. Oh how I wish I could lead and make life easier for them!" Meera was about to say something, but he interrupted.

Nakul: "I know, darling... It's justm she is my little sweetheart and..." Meera wiped his teary eyes and hugged him with a sigh! And they both wished how wonderful it would have been if the kids never grew up and always remained as little cute munchkins!

Nakul: "By the way, I have something for you. " Nakul took out something wrapped in a brown paper cover and placed it on her hand.

Nakul: "On our way to the wedding hall, I saw this in a shop..." By then, Meera was holding the mustard with red saree and understood what her husband was upto.

Nakul had always told how he still remembers her in the red and mustard saree at Sachi's wedding. And even kids know that if he buys her a dress, it will be either red or mustard or some shades of it!

Nakul: " You know I would love to see you in that tomorrow, but if you don't have matching accessories, it's fine, You can wear it on some other day."

Meera shook her head with a chuckle said, " You are lucky this time! I do have accessories and can grant you this wish!" While they were laughing at this silly joke, soembody knocked on their door.

As soon as Nakul opened the door came a crying Jo with worried-looking siblings behind her.

Jo: "Dad, they are saying girls can't come back home anymore after the wedding, and that is the custom here... Is it true?" Nakul hugged her and gave a warning look to the kids for making her cry.

Nakul: "Well, we are right now standing at your mother's childhood home, and I believe that gives you enough assurance, darling, that you are always welcome at each of your homes." She cried out while hugging him, and they all knew it wasn't the siblings that made her cry. After all, they all are passing through a phase of life.

Jo: "Mom, I want to sleep here with you both. May I?"

Meera: "Of course, darling... come here." Meera made space for her baby while Nakul bid good night to the rest and joined on the other side of Meera.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day for everyone! And they both hope to overcome their fears just like they have done till now!

******************************************

And that's it!

I'm sorry for the delay. I couldn't come up with a convincing ending!

Again, not edited, and I couldn't edit other chapters too! Sorry for that too.

I hope the ending is not disappointing.

Thanks everyone,

Ritu.