Chapter 3

Hunter's POV

"I'm so tired, I miss my Molly" Jace, my beta complained again. I spared him a glance and continued with my paperwork. His constant whining was nothing new to me anymore.

Since taking over the Alpha title from my father six years ago and becoming the Alpha of the Dark Crescent Moon Park, Australia's second largest pack, we've made a yearly trip to Nigeria, Africa and Jace always complains about how we could always send a representative instead of coming all the way.

"I just wish you'd consider sending a representative instead" he said again, as if reading my mind

"Jace, I have a serious headache please stop complaining" I replied, resting my head on my fist.

"I just miss Molly" He said under his breath. Molly is his mate and he just spoke to her on the phone not long ago.

"You haven't found your mate, so you wouldn't understand how it feels".

I hate it when people say things like that, and it makes me angry when I consider how long I've been waiting for my mate. I'm 28 years old and while my friends all met their mate when they were 18 or at most 20, I've waited for almost ten years for her. Although, I like to act like I'm not affected by their word, deep down I know how much it hurts.

"We're leaving tomorrow, just bear with us, it'll be over in less than 24 hours. Mates are overrated anyway" I tried to reply as calmly as I could.

"I just hope you find your mate soon"

"Can you shut the fuck up?" I yelled.

Jace is my best friend and we've been friends since diaper, but I swear if he says anything else about my mate, I'm going to fucking kill him. I glared at him, daring him to say one more thing.

Someone cleared their throat, "Alpha, we've arrived" It was Tony, one of our warriors and my driver. I opened the door with so much force, it could have fallen off its hinge and I walked to the entrance.

"Welcome, Mr. Reed. I trust your journey was smooth" Ms. Brown greeted with a slight bow. Ms. Brown is the housekeeper, and she has been in charge of the house here in Nigeria since my dad was made Alpha and I have no plan to change that unless she decides to resign or dies.

"Thank you" I answered and walked past her inside the house. I looked around, sniffing discreetly, trying survey the surroundings when I noticed that the chandelier was different from the last time.

"Would you like your dinner now?" She asked from behind me.

"No, I'm just going to shower and go to bed" I answered her.

"Are you feeling okay? I could call...".

".... I'm alright. It was a long journey so I'm a bit tired" I quickly assured her. She had this motherly instinct in her and it always surprised me because she had never had children of her own.

She nodded her head and muttered 'okay' before I turned fully and walked to the room prepared for me.

--------------------------

"Hey man" Jace greeted with smile probably trying to make me forget about yesterday.

"Good morning," I said from the table's head, Jace to my right. The dining room soon filled up with maids I hadn't noticed yesterday since I didn't eat dinner but went straight to bed because of how frustrated I felt.

I started having wild thought and 'what if' scenarios. I think my thoughts influenced my dream because I had a nightmare about my mate; She died, right in front of me but I couldn't see her face clearly and...

"Earth to Hunter" Jace said, distracting me from my thought.

"What were you thinking about? Did you even hear anything I said?" He asked, frowning.

"Huh" I said, confused

"So, I've been talking to myself the whole time" He muttered sounding annoyed. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow, sometimes he acted like a child.

"What were you saying" I asked, cutting to the chase. He glared at me but continued to speak.

"Well, I was apologizing for yesterday. I know that this mate thing is a touchy subject for you-"

"It's not, I told you I do not care" I interrupted him

"-and no matter how hard you deny it, I know it's true. And just so you know, I'll help you in whatever way I can" He concluded, looking serious.

"Yeah, whatever" I replied as I started eating the pancake Ms. Brown. Jace placed his hand on his chest in mock hurt.

"Fuck you man" He muttered, shaking his head

"I don't believe Molly would like that very much" I smiled at him

"Eww," He replied, pretending to throw up the coffee he had just sipped, and I smiled at his reaction.

I turned to the maid standing not to far from me and smiled at her when I saw her staring.

"What's your name?" I asked her. I could immediately smell the fear radiating off her and she looked like she just shit her pant. When she didn't respond, I raised an eyebrow in question.

"Elora" She replied so softly that I doubt I would have heard it if it hadn't been for my werewolf hearing. When I smiled at her again, she blushed. Of course, she didn't turn beet red or pink because of her complexion, but I could tell she was blushing.

"Elora" I said slowly "It's a lovely name"

"Thank you" She beamed

"Um... do you mind calling Ms. Brown for me?" I asked her, still smiling.

"No...no I don't mind" She replied and scurried away.

Elora was beautiful, I'd give her that. Tall, slim, nice smile and a really pretty hair. My type exactly but she wasn't my mate.

"No, you shouldn't do that" Jace said laughing lightly

"Do what?" I asked, confused

"Dude, you were totally flirting with her" He said

"Hey Elora, do you mind calling Ms. Brown for me?" He went on, and I shook my head at his attempt to mimic me.

"I was just being nice" I chuckled

"Hmm, or you wanna tap some black ass before we return home" He said, wriggling his eyebrows

"What the hell is wrong with-"

"Sir, you called for me" Ms. Brown said, interrupting me.

"Yes, right, could you please call Tony in for breakfast before we leave?" I said and continued drinking my coffee but not before I caught Elora's eyes and smiled at her. Jace had to just notice that and kick me under the table making my coffee spill all over my cloth.

"Jace!!" I yelled but he just kept laughing.

I left to change my clothes after glaring hard at Jace and Tony strolled in at that moment, looking lost.

I just love their friendship
Please don't forget to vote, comment and follow

🌹T