Blackmail

(Art by @pandas_creative_mess on Instagram)

My eyes are burning. If I had the courage to punch Malice, I don't think my moral sense could hold me back. But I am not a fighter. Not in that sense at least. I look at Link. His anger and guilt are competing with his disciplined self, but he doesn't cave. He stands tough and reticent like a soldier. It's true then, he is dating Mipha now, and I am the one who has to pay for it.

The growing joy on Malices face is evident the more I struggle to contain my emotions. I press my lips together to stop immature words from falling out. I can't smack her and I refuse to yell at her. So what else is there to do? Without a word, I hastily turn away from them to search for the nearest bathroom. I need to get the cheese off my clothes and find Impa afterward. My mood is worse than it was before the hike, and I just want to go home, fall asleep, and pretend this day, and this whole week, never happened.

"Zelda," I hear Link call after me but I don't stop or even look at him. This is all his fault! If he had just stayed away from me during PE and sat somewhere else in English and Biology, Malice wouldn't attack me every time she sees me and make my life a living hell.

Link grabs my hand as I reach for the door to the restrooms, causing my feet to come to a halt. His grip is gentle and he lets go before I jerk my wrist away. I throw my hands at his chest and push him away with all my force. He doesn't even lose his balance from my weak attack, though his mouth falls open in surprise.

"Go away," I yell, tears threatening to fall.

"I'm not da--"

"Every time you get close to me, I am being punished for it," I interrupt him and point at the stains on my dress. "Look at me! I don't deserve this. I'm not stalking you! I didn't even know you existed until Thursday when you chose to sit next to me, may I add!"

Link doesn't object nor does he defend himself. He just watches as I stomp my foot and yell at him.

"I don't know what they see in you anyway. You think just because you're good at sports you can disregard the people around you... What's so hard about chasing a ball? You score points and feel like you are too important to talk to other students. Guess what; you're no better than the rest of us at HU. Stop treating others like they're below you."

I feel brave and say things I wouldn't usually dare say at someone's face. It feels good though. Even the anger I hold against Father seems to slip through as I yell at Link. Maybe I should go back and yell at Malice too, but I'd rather not get beat up by an MMA fighter. 

I fall into silence and wait for Link to respond. But he doesn't. I thought maybe he'd yell back, but he just stays quiet and makes a small step towards me. I'm frozen to the spot. What is he doing? Link removes a piece of nacho from my collarbone and gives me a look of empathy and sorrow that mirrors the pain I'm feeling lately. 

"I'm sorry," he says, his eyes full of regret and honesty. Out of all the things that he could have possibly replied with, I didn't expect him to apologize. 

I look up at him and chase the many thoughts in my mind, only to find that the space in my head is deserted of anger. All the negative thoughts just dissolved within seconds, and I am left feeling guilty for the things I just shouted at him. I know I probably hurt his feelings, but it had to be said, right? I can't think straight with his eyes so desperately longing for forgiveness. He's standing too close to me again, it's fogging my mind.

I sigh. I'm not the resentful type, I want to forgive him. But when I look over his shoulder and see Malice leaning against the wall, prying on us like a vulture, I jump away from Link.