Hurt

Pik holds his umbrella over Riju and me, leaving Link standing in the rain by himself.

"Hello Zelda," Pik looks pleasantly surprised.

"Everything okay?" I ask Riju while eying Pik wairily.

"Certainly."

"She wanted to talk to me about the seals so I offered my umbrella" Pik explains.

"Oh." Of course she did.

"I missed you at my gig on Friday. It was a great show, should've been there."

"Sorry, something came up," I say honestly, avoiding looking at Link. 

"It's fine. I'll let you know when we'll play again," he replies, avoiding the same thing. This is all very unfortunate.

"Did you come alone?" I need to know if anyone else is here who might recognize us or if it's just him.

"Yeah, I'm here by myself. I come here sometimes to get inspiration for paintings. Although I think this time I am more drawn to writing a poem. Perhaps it will encourage more people to preserve nature."

"That would be really nice."

"Yes, you know what they say; actions speak louder than words but sometimes words can be pretty powerful too. I will read my poetry at the annual Scholar's Symposium, you should come."

"That's in October, right?"

I mustn't forget to sign up for participation. First place in an oral presentation would look great on my transcripts. And it could prove to Father that I don't need any rules to succeed academically.

"Yes, it's a few days before Halloween I believe. What do you intend to present?"

"Oh, probably a research paper," I shrug.

"I'll come to your presentation if you come to mine," he offers me his charming smile. I nod, I really just want to end this conversation. Poor Link is getting soaking wet.

"So..." Pik pulls his lip piercing between his teeth. "You and Link then?"

My eyes return to Pik in a heartbeat. "It's not like that," I shake my head one too many times.

"It's okay, it's not like I'm going to tell anyone," he says.

I am absolutely unprepared for this. No excuse comes to mind that explains why Link and I happen to be here at the same time. I barely know Pik, surely not enough to trust him with our secret. If this gets out we're doomed. I knew coming here was a bad idea.

"Don't worry about it," Pik continues. "I can tell you're uncomfortable and it's clearly none of my business. But I just want you to know that you can talk to me. Your secret is save with me. I'm not big on gossip, unless, of course, it's about me. I love hearing gossip about myself."

"What? Why would you like that?" Who in this world likes to hear gossip about themselves?

"There are so many reasons. First of all, it just goes to show that my life is more interesting than theirs. Their life is so boring that they have to create fiction about mine. It's like winning the game of life against a bunch of bullies. But more importantly, I am always the main character. Whether I'm the villain or the good guy, it's always about me. It's quite the thrill. Sometimes their stories get so creative that I gasp at my own actions, they have it all; plot twists, climaxes, unexpected endings, et cetera, et cetera. Just lovely."

"Okay but sometimes people say awful things."

"So? Let them talk," he shrugs along with a chuckle. "If I've learned anything at HU then it's that you know you're doing something right when people get jealous. Besides, if you keep thriving no matter what, you will eventually defeat your enemies with their own jealousy."