To Say Goodbye

As soon as I hear a car door shut I get up from Link's bed and walk to the door to place my ear against it. Downstairs, I hear the front door click and Kafei's voice is the first one I hear, followed by Revali's.

"The time without you was too short," Revali complains and I don't have to think twice to know who he is talking to. My heart flutters, Link is back!

I open the bedroom door and hurry down the hallway to the stairs. Link is standing by the front door, wearing a Hyrule soccer hoodie and his black brace over his soccer sweatpants. He drops his bags when he sees me at the top of the stairs and smiles.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was hoping the soccer team would lose early on so he'd come home sooner. But Hyrule's team is too strong, even though Domidak messed up most of his kicks, they made it all the way to the finals. It was a close game, victory was almost ours, but Hyrule lost by one point... 

Despite the disappointment among fans and the fact that they claim we could have won if Link had played, nobody seems to actually blame him for our defeat.

Today marks the end of Link's absence and that's all I care about. I don't even care that his roommates are present when I rush downstairs and jump into Link's arms. He catches me and picks me up. My arms and legs wrap around his torso as I bury my face in his shoulder. I think he can tell that I missed him without me confessing that I wore his hoodie and cried on his pillow on more than one occasion. When he left, it felt like I wasn't whole anymore. I felt cold, sick almost, and the emotional pain was overbearing.

"Get a room," Revali rolls his eyes.

"What are you? 12?" I laugh at him, hugging Link even tighter.

"Welcome home, bro," Kafei pats Link's shoulder as a way to excuse himself and returns to the living room with his fiancé.

Link doesn't say a word to any of them. When he takes a few steps toward the stairs I wiggle myself out of his grip to stand on my own feet.

"I'll grab your luggage," I say. As I turn to pick them up, his hand holds on to my arm and tugs at it lightly.

"That can wait," he says and walks me upstairs, holding on to my hand until we reach his door. He stops to take in the sight. His bed is fully covered in textbooks and notes, as is his desk. And the floor.

"It's finals week and I'm slightly freaking out. I'm sorry for the mess... "

"Mess?" Link steps inside. "My room's never been this clean."

All I did was pick up and fold his clothes. I also removed all the rubbish from his desk space so that I could work on my homework. I suppose it does look cleaner than usual. We walk inside and hug again at the center of the room. Although Link came home a couple of times during the championship, the hassle and limited time blocked the euphoria of it.

"I'm so happy you're finally back for good."

"Me too. Luxury hotels, massages, a mini fridge... It was hell," he laughs.

"I bet you missed your tiny bed and moldy leftovers."

A sigh escapes through his smile. "I'd live in a dumpster as long as you're there too."

"I would never live in a dumpster," I chuckle at his lousy attempt at flirting.

"Would probably be nicer than this house." He retreats from our hug to take a long look at me. "Are you wearing my t-shirt?"

I tightly cross my arms over the Olympics logo. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Mhm, sure." He steps closer, looking at my lips. "Stop smiling for a moment."