More Than Friends

My eyes keep darting to the clock at the wall and my ears refuse to pay attention to the coach. I've been counting every second of every lecture today, trying to keep my mind off of Link's surgery but I won't be able to relax until he's safe and sound. It's just a knee surgery, that's what I keep telling myself.

"But anyway, that's it for today. See you guys on Wednesday," are the words that pull my eyes back to the coach. Finally.

I dropped Link off at the hospital earlier today and told him I would stay at the hospital during his surgery but he told me to go back to campus, knowing how important school is to me. He said there is nothing I can do at the hospital and that it would only make me more anxious. While he is right, I would have liked to be close to by.

I don't know if he is out of surgery yet, if he's awake or asleep, if he's in pain... I don't know anything and it's driving me mad. I hurry back to the locker room to change. Malice didn't show up for class today to add to my stress, however, as I step out of the building I spot her near the exit. So she actually skipped PE today. Classy. 

I don't look for more than a second. I know she will try to fight me if she notices me. When I hear her sniffle, my feet stop against my will. I turn my head back at her. She is sitting on the grass in the shade, leaning against the brick wall with a cigarette in her hand. Mascara is painting her cheeks black and new bruises have colored her thighs. You almost want to feel bad for her but it's Malice. If she's hurting, why doesn't she just leave Ganon? Or go to the police? She is a martial arts fighter, she could defend herself too.

I have to get to the hospital! my head cusses at my legs. They have decided upon themselves to walk over to Malice. Curse my morals. I stop in front of her, looking down without words in my mind. When she looks up at me, she looks just a tad more surprised than annoyed and attempts to clean her cheeks with her palm.

"Fuck off."

I gulp. Why did I walk over here again?

"Are you okay?" I ask her despite her very clear rejection.

"I'm fucking great," she snarls.

"Why'd you skip PE?"

"To enjoy the weather," she sarcastically remarks.

I don't know what to say. I chew on my cheek and roll back and forth on my heels. Why is she so mean to me? I didn't come here to make fun of her. Does she really hate me more than those marks on her legs?

"Why are you still standing there?" She hisses.

"If you tell me to go, I'll go. But--"

"Go."

"But if you're in pain, we can talk about it. Maybe I can help."

"I didn't ask you for help!"

"I know..."

"So stop bothering me!"

"Fine..." I take a step back but remain standing in front of her. There are so many things I want to say but whether those things should or shouldn't be said and heard I am uncertain of.

"Are you trying to piss me off?" She gets up and takes a step toward me. I quickly shake my head. "Just go away before I beat you."

"For someone who gets beat by her boyfriend you are very precipitous when it comes to violence."

"You don't know what the fuck you're talking about," she balls her fists.

"Maybe not. I'm not claiming to know what is going on with you but you shouldn't be with someone who treats you like that." I gesture at her legs. "One day, Ganon might do much worse than bruise you."