Guys Deserve Flowers Too

Daruk joins me on the field while I wait for Link to finish his cooldown.

"I was going to watch the game with you and Impa but I lost you guys in the crowd when you left so quickly," he tells me, chortling lightly.

"My apologies. Leaving like that was very rude of me," I say.

"Don't worry about it. Got to watch the game with my nephew." He combs his beard and looks away. "Are you alright? Do you wanna... I don't know, I thought maybe you'd want to talk about what happened with that boy."

Link looks up at us and I smile nervously. "Not necessary. Everything's fine."

"Alright, just let me know if there's ever anything you need," Daruk says and looks at Link. "That goes for both of you."

"Oh, I do have a question. Are you going back to Vah Rudania tonight?" I ask Daruk and turn to Link before he can answer. "I'll take you out for dinner if you'd like."

Link walks over to us with much strain. "To be honest... I just want to go home."

"Oh, of course," I nod, taking in his bloody ankles and swollen knee. How inconsiderate of me to ask him to have dinner with me. What is wrong with me?

"Can I come over for a few hours?" Did I just invite myself to his home? He probably just wants to sleep and be alone tonight. I slap myself mentally. "I don't have to. You're probably tired," I add along with two teaspoons of insecurity.

"Uh," Link blushes. "No, I want you to come over, but... my roommates?"

"Don't worry about that, I have a plan," I say with a shy smile. Is smiling appropriate? Even though we won the game it feels like we lost.

"I'ma head out," Daruk announces. "Link, just wanted to say it was a mighty game. You've got a strong will and fantastic dribbling." He gives him a thumbs up and leaves soon after.

Every step Link takes looks painful. The worst part is I know that he's only showing one third of the actual pain. I will do anything to make him feel even slightly better.

"I can take you home so you don't have to ride on the bus," I offer.

"People will see us," he laments. I do believe that I planted this fear of being seen in his head. He didn't use to care this much but I kept insisting on keeping everything a secret, so he's begun to do the same. "And it's rude not to go home with the team. Coach will want to talk about the game when we get back. So I won't be home for another couple of hours."

I just want to hug him and tell him that everything is going to be okay! He's in so much pain!

"Okay... I'll see you tomorrow then. Provided you're attending school tomorrow."

"Or you could wait for me in my room..." he shyly suggests.

"Yes," I smile. I will gladly wait for him! "Yes, I'll wait there."

"Okay," the corner of his mouth lifts, displaying a weak smile. I smile back at him.

"Link!" A little kid interrupts us and holds up a marker. "Will you sign the back of my t-shirt?"

The sparkles in this little boy's eyes when Link nods melt my heart. Despite all the pain, Link takes the marker to give his signature.

"Mommy! Mommy!" the boy squeals in a deafening volume and the woman next to me apologizes to us. "Link is signing my shirt! Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. Mommy, can you take a picture?"

"I'm recording it," she laughs, holding up her phone.

I have to bite my lips to hide my smile. This is so wholesome. I know Link doesn't usually talk to fans, let alone sign their jerseys or take pictures. I've known this ever since the first game I attended. And yet he looks so casual signing this boy's back. Cute, I just noticed that he's wearing a number 11.