Blades of the Yiga

He swings his bat and I shut my eyes as hard as I can. My heart is boxing against the inside of my chest at a quick and painful pace. Any moment now I will feel the surface of the bat collide with my skull. I hear a thud and a groan and open my eyes to find the guy lying in the mud in front of me with Link towering over him. Link! He's here. Just in time! I've never been this happy to see him, to see anyone. Whether he followed me or just happened to see us on his way to the soccer field doesn't matter at all, I thank the goddess that he's here.

"I think I'm dreaming," the guy with the bat sneers. "If it isn't the global superstar and prodigy, Hyrule's hero; Link. Here to save the princess?"

"Stay away from her," Link warns. "All of you."

"Pfft," he laughs and tightens his grip around the bat. "Or else what? Are we going to have a penalty shootout?"

Like a bullet out of a gun, he swings his bat at Link. I am scared he'll hit his already injured ribs, but Link counters the attack, kicks the baseball bat out of the guy's hand and catches it midair. How the tables have turned. Now Link has the bat pointed at the guy. Even his friends have lost their smug expressions and look ready to take flight. Cowards.

"If you ever touch her again, I will beat you unconscious," Link threatens.

"You don't have the guts," he says full of spite. Does he have a death wish? He's already on the ground, what's he trying to prove?

Black clouds darken the sky again. It will be a stormy night, and all I can think about is that I'd rather be in the middle of a storm than this fight. Thankfully Link tosses the bat into the grass and I sigh in relief.

"That's what I thought," the guy laughs when Link turns away.

"You won't always be there, you know? You can't always protect her," he adds boldly. "One day, when she's alone, I'll be back. And she will regret rejecting me."

Link's fist connects with the guy's jaw before I have time to even blink. He's back in the mud with Link on top of him beating his face mercilessly. The other two don't help or stop the fight, they just run back to their bus. It's up to me to act, but what am I supposed to do? Should I call for help or intervene?

"Link!" My shriek is nothing but a whisper in the wind.

"Link, stop!" I cry.

If Link doesn't stop, the other guy really will become unconscious. I take a hasty look around. If someone sees us, Link will surely get expelled. Can't he see that he's risking his career by fighting this guy? Is that why he kept provoking Link? Because he knew he'd start a fight and get expelled? 

I rise to my feet and seize Link's arm, trying to pull him off of the other guy. Link turns around and looks at my arms around his biceps.

"Stop it, Link! He's not worth it!"

When I tug his arm again, he finally gets up and stares at the bloody face of the man on the ground.

"Bastard," his horse voice croaks at Link.

"Stay away from her if you don't want to end up like Ganon."

"That was you?" he coughs and spits out some blood.

Link doesn't answer. He doesn't have to.

"You're going down," the guy says and I fear that he's right. There's no happy ending for this. Link will get expelled for standing up for me.

I grab Link's hand and pull him away from the scene. We have to leave. We can't stay here and be seen. There's still hope that they can't expel him if they don't have proof it was him.