Dear Zelda

"Dear Zelda," the maid says, evidently uncomfortable reading a personal letter written by her boss.

"Wait," I interrupt. Maybe I should read it myself. "No, keep going, please."

"Dear Zelda—"

"No, wait." I don't have time to doubt myself. There are more pressing matters waiting. "I'm sorry, please continue."

"Dear Zelda," the maid begins for the third time. "I sincerely apologize for my absence. I know you wished to spend this day together. I wished for it too, perhaps we can spend next year's holidays together at your lodge. I hope this present symbolizes more than just real estate. It is my way of showing you how much you mean to me.

If I could, I would give you the entire mountain. Memories lie up there, good as well as bad, I treasure them all. Your mother was in utter admiration for the mountains, the same kind of admiration I see in your eyes whenever you do your research. When your Mother passed away, your conduct was truly that of a born leader. Your strength gave me hope. Suddenly, I had to raise you all alone... Only I remained to prepare you for your future, a future I chose without consulting with you.

I left no room for weakness, even on behalf of my beloved daughter. My heart broke for you but I was sure that I had to act strong like a leader, not a father. I thought it was what's best for you and chose that path despite knowing that you would come to despise me. Losing you was a sacrifice I was foolishly willing to make. There is no excuse for that. I was falling apart after your mother's death and the only way to keep my head up was to work relentlessly to ensure a good future for you.

I was convinced that you would follow in my footsteps and when you began to spend more time with research, I felt I had no choice but to confront you. I now realize that I may have observed the world as black and white when there was much more to you than the gift of leadership. Your heart, your boundless compassion, with those precious gifts you have saved me from a narrow-minded life while I accused you of evading your duty. In truth, perhaps I was guilty of the same. Forgive me.

I understand how you feel. Painfully so. You lost your mother before you could learn from her. Ten years of self-training while you grew up without a parental figure. And while others talked behind your back, I, your only family, scolded you for your shortcomings. No wonder you wish to hide away in your research. I'd love nothing more than to console you. From now on, I shall speak kindly with you. I want to encourage you to keep researching your beloved sciences. They may lead you to answers I can't provide.

For now, I sit anxiously, more a father than a leader. I sit and await my daughters return. Zelda, you are my pride, and indeed the pride of all Hyrule.

Merry Christmas.

Love,
your father"

"Thank you," is all I return to the maid. I hang up and place Impa's phone back on the nightstand. I'm glad she's asleep already, for I lack any composure to carry a conversation right now.

My mind is too scrambled to process this. I feel touched, I am sure of that, but I can't collect a decent thought or truly comprehend any of Father's words. Did he mean what he said? Am I naïve to believe that he did? I will have to call him back in the morrow to thank him. Right now every part of me is focused on Link.

My mind is racing, thinking about him. I want to go back to his room this instant. I couldn't bear the look on his face when I left. It was heartbreaking.

I enter his room and quietly close the door behind me. He's pacing back and forth, clawing his hair. When he looks up at me, he stops. His chest falls, his eyes soften.