8 - laid up

𝗄𝖾𝗍𝗌𝗎 𝗉𝗋𝗈𝖽𝗎𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇𝗌©𝗛𝗘𝗔𝗥𝗧𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦

𝗄𝖾𝗍𝗌𝗎 𝗉𝗋𝗈𝖽𝗎𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇𝗌©
𝗛𝗘𝗔𝗥𝗧𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦

║▌│█║▌│ █║▌│█│║▌║║▌│█║▌│ █║▌│█│║▌

YOU JAMMED YOUR FINGER into the eleventh button on the keypad, feeling the elevator shift up almost instantly.

you heard the familiar chime of the elevator that indicated you were on your selected floor and pressed in the pin.

081027....

once the doors opened, you walked into the apartment, seeing that it was as luxurious as ever, and put your bag on one of the stools at the counter.

"tsukishima?" you called out carefully, looking around and frowning when you didn't seeing the young man. your eyes flitted over to the balcony, where you expected to see him smoking again, but he wasn't there.

walking around at a slow pace, your eyes landed on bundled up lump on the couch before you, causing you to blink curiously.

"what are you doing?" you asked, moving closer but stopping when the boy turned his back to you.

"leave me alone."

"wha- don't give me the cold shoulder!" you exclaimed.

"what are you even doing here? you know unsolicited visits are considered rude, right?" tsukishima grumbled, pulling the blanket further over his head.

you paused at the sound of his voice. it was raspy and sounded a little stuffy, not to mention weak and half-assed.

"did you forget we were supposed to finally work on our project- are you sick?" you asked, nearly cutting yourself off as the question jumped from your throat.

tsukishima's lithe fingers latched onto the edge of his blanket, him bringing the large piece of fabric down to his nose and peeking only his eyes out.

you blinked at him. he didn't have his glasses on.

"who are you again?"

scoffing, you rolled your eyes, holding back a snort, "don't try to change the subject, asshole. are you sick?" you repeated the question, tsukishima chuffing and going back under the covers.

"no."

you were about to step forward when tsukishima spoke.

"don't you dare step any closer," he warned, scooting away from you. "i said don't-"

ignoring his request, you marched up to him a yanked the blanket off of him, eliciting a whiny groan out of him. taking hold of his jaw, you turned his face over, tsukishima trying to resist, and took a closer look at his face.

he was paler than usual, a slight cold sweat layering his forehead. his nose was a light shade of pink and his cheeks were insanely flushed.

you pressed a hand on his forehead, causing him to squirm and scrunch his nose under your uncomfortable touch.

"are you fucking kidding me? you're burning up!" you exclaimed. "it's only been like two days since i last saw you. what did you do?"

tsukishima rolled his eyes, "what do you mean 'what did i do?'" he mocked, his tone filled with incredulity.

you gasped, "the rain. it's because you went out in the rain, you idiot!"

"okay, whatever. now, go home." the boy snatched his blanket back from your hands, only for you to yank it back. "give it!"

"have you been sneezing or coughing?" you asked, ignoring his pleads and walking off with his blanket, tsukishima's arms reaching out longingly behind you. "and don't lie to me this time."

"so what if i have?"

"then that means you're sick."

"okay?"

"which means you haven't been taking care of yourself."

"okay?"

"for fucks sake, tsukishima," you sighed, turning to face him and dropping your hands to your sides, your shoulders slumping.

tsukishima shrugged, "i already told you i didn't want to be a victim of your damn savior complex."

"what does this have to do with- i don't have that! i'm literally just trying to help you, so why can't you just accept it?"

"because i don't need it."

you stared at him, an undeniable pang of hurt hitting you square in the chest at his words. "so, we're just back to square one?"

tsukishima's brows dipped at your words, him tensing slightly. "we...? there is no we." he quickly said, trying to mask his confusion towards your previous words.

"i didn't mean it like that! you know i didn't." it was taking a lot in you right now to stay there. you stayed because you knew if you left, he'd only get worse. he wouldn't take care of himself, and who knows what that could escalate to? "jeez, why are you like this...?" you said quietly, rubbing your temples and exhaling.

"i can't control it..."

ah, fuck. the way he sounded so feeble and oh-so-delicate unnerved you. it sounded like it was something he had to say often. something he was tired of saying and something to add on to his insecurities.

"i know," you said, feeling your body calm down and your breathing grow slower.

you know? he thought. tsukishima peered over at you, a blank look on his face despite his curious, awaiting eyes.

walking over to him, you sat down on the arm of the couch, leaning back a little. "i know it's not your fault. but, can you meet me halfway? please? or at least try," you said softly, cautiously.

tsukishima was quiet, his head lolling back and forth and his eyes heavy, as if he was wavering between 'yes and no'.

suddenly, you felt a weight shift onto your thigh. it took you a while before you realized it was tsukishima's forehead that now laid on your thigh, the burning hot feeling of the surface transferring to your skin.

"t-tsukishima?"

"i'm trying to do better...." he sounded distant and a somnolent, the room quiet with the exception of his soft breathing and your slightly panicked, labored ones. "i'm sorry..."

you frowned at the words, blinking slowly. "what? why are you saying sorry?" you asked, puzzled.

"because i am..."

║▌│█║▌│ █║▌│█│║▌║║▌│█║▌│ █║▌│█│║▌

-ˏˋ こんにちは ˊˎ-

𝐓𝐒𝐔𝐊𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐌𝐀 𝐗 𝐀𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐍 (𝐟𝐞𝐦.) 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑
inspired by :: anime
haikyuu

est. 2021
-𝐊3𝐓5𝐔3𝐊1©