12| An Old Friend

"Katherine honey, can you pass me the flour" Mrs. Ashwood asked pointing to the side. I got off the stool I was sitting on handed it to her. We were in the castle's second kitchen, it was smaller than the main kitchen and mostly used by a few staff. I was rambling since we started the extra chocolatey chocolate cake, she always made for me when I kid.

I found out from the staff that Hunter came back from Tarodle Vill last night. I wanted to go and see him immediately but I know he would want to relax and see his family first. So I waited until the morning only to find out he went on a morning Hunt with my father, lord Marten and lord Nathaniel Marten. I was so irritated because I thought he would want to see me as much as I want to see him but now I am scared since they should be here soon.

"Katherine I am sure he wants to see you as much as you want to see him," she told me out of breathing hand whisking the eggs switching between hands. When she saw that they were ready she set the bowl down and turned to do something else.

"How do you know that?" I sighed playing through in my heart all the ways things could go so so wrong with Hunter and me. The last time we spoke we here kids and I left without saying goodbye. We're adults now, our interest sure have changed, that got me thinking." oh God what if he forgot me"

"Firstly don't use god name in vain" she pointed the chocolatey spoon at me and I licked it off. I was bitter, I was having serious regrets about that now.

"Yea, sorry" she laughed at my reaction and put the spoon to wash. I was to be helping her all I was doing was mindlessly getting things for her and ranting about Hunter.

"Second I know because when he found you were coming he couldn't stop talking about it"

"Really, I wonder how much he has changed?" Now I started to pace. Hunter always had some fat to him mostly in the face and belly, and a dark tan for playing out in the sun too long. He was always tall and the rest of him was skinny which I found weird. But nevertheless, he was the kindest person I know and didn't treated me differently because of my title.

"Oh a lot, very handsome young man" Mrs. Ashwood gushed over him and it got me more excited. She continued with " you might want to hold onto him before he's gone." I knew what she meant by that but I always saw him as a close friend nothing more and I don't anything would change that and besides I am happy with what I got with William.

"Oh no Mrs. Ash wood it not like that?" Was it thought?  Yeah of course it was. Why am I routing myself pretty sure he sees me in the same light.

"Why got your eyes on someone else?" She asked my heart skipped a beat felt like I was going to drop It the moment before she started laughing. The way she said it made me feel as if she knows something all along.

"What? No, you know me" I lied through my teeth.

"Yes I do" she raised her eyebrows at me before putting the came into the cauldron to bake. I had no idea what she meant by that and I don't want to know so I just laughed it off. We then continue to clean up the mess we have made.

"Katherine" my mother yelled in the halls scaring Mrs. Ash wood guess she's still not used to my mother being back. It must have been so quiet here without her now that she's back she has the staff in 'order'. I can hear the sound of her heels clicking on the floor before the for swings open. She gasps when she saw me and Mrs.Ashwood.

"What is going on here!" She yelled eyes going everywhere looking at the mess we have made then they landed on me and twitch like she was about to explode. I wasn't in the mood for another argument with my mother.

Mrs. Ashwood steps in front of me."We are making a cake your Majesty"

"Okay, okay Katherine let's go. Now!"