2| Not A Bad Lier

"Katherine!" I heard Elizabeth shouts and she ran downstairs. "Katherine where are you!"

"Elizabeth enough with the shouting," my mother said as Elizabeth made her way downstairs and into the kitchen. "A young lady doesn't shout or ran like that"

"Sorry mother, you are right," she apologized.

"What's the reason for this shouting?" she asked and I saw Elizabeth quickly move the letter she was holding to the back of her away from mother's view. "Katherine said she would do my hair for me" she lied and looked at me to follow suit.

"Oh that right, mother I did" I wiped my hands on my apron before taking it off and putting it aside.

"You girl go do that, Elizabeth I would like to speak with you," mother asked like if she had a choice whether or not she wanted to but the tone she used wasn't.

Elizabeth nodded her head, I walked out of the kitchen and passed Elizabeth and as I did I took the letter from her hand. I made my way upstairs and into the room Elizabeth and I shared.
The room was small, mostly filled with books that we found when we came to live here. I figured the room used to be someone's study. It had two beds and a place to put our clothes.

The walls were filled with art that we did as kids. Mother never let us leave the house back then, when she came home from the market she would bring back art supplies.

"Ah I hate her so much Katherine, why can't I be left alone, to choose my path" Elizabeth cried when she walked into the room slamming the door shut as she paced the room.

"Elizabeth, it's a sin to hate on your parents," I told her, walked over to her, and sat her down on the bed.

"I know but mother is suffocating me, when I am around all she does is yell at me do that Elizabeth, Elizabeth don't do that" As much as she tried to hold it in, the pain came out like an uproar from her throat in the form of a silent scream. The tears started falling one after another, without a sign of stopping.

"Did you know she has plans for me to marry when we go home? I wouldn't marry him, Katherine. I can't not when I love another" I held on to my little sister to comfort her, she sobbed into my chest unceasingly, hands clutching at my sides. I held her in silence, it pains me to see Elizabeth like this, mother can be a brute at times. I rocked her slowly as her tears soaked my chest.

Her shaking stopped and she pulled away looking up at me. "How do you do it?"

"What do you mean?"

"You're not married yet"

"Look, you need not worry about it, I am sure we can think of something," I told her and pulled her in for another hug when I remembered the letter. I pulled it from my pocket.

"What is this about?" I asked and when she saw the letter her face lit up with a huge smile. "It's from Stephen" the way that my sister talks about the man anyone would know she's in love with Stephen.

"What did he say?" She opened the letter and handed it to me. I didn't want to read her love letter, only to hear the important parts but I unfolded it and read it.

My Dears Elizabeth,

I hope all is well back at home in Hull, it's not that good here in the South Post. Most of the people lost their homes and loved ones to the war or the plague.

Please let my mother and sister know that I am alive and well. Tell them I love them and miss them all dearly.

I promise you my darling Elizabeth that when I return I shall have you as my wife. I know because of your true identity there might be some problems. I will wait for you my love if you would only wait for me.