1| Stray Floral

||First draft||

Death, never in my life I thought it would come so soon. I always wanted it to be dramatic definitely not by the hands of my mother. Just the way she looked at me could send me six feet under.I have never talked back at my mother and to raise my voice with it. I was sure I was dead, but I stand by what I said. She made me and I was just as stubborn as her.

"What did you say to your mother" she raised her voice higher than mine. I stepped back. No, I was right here and she would not manipulate me again. I was no longer a little girl.

"I said this is yours and father fault that why were living like this because of greed" now I was definitely poking the bear, my sister Elizabeth step backed into the hall going back up to our room.

"Katherine stop being disrespectful, why don't you try being grateful" she grabbed me by my face, if she was trying to make me feel weak and like a little child like she always does. I wasn't walking.

I am not going to let her.

I pulled away, I hated acting this way against my mother but something she can be too much. "I am grateful that we're alive mother but stop trying to control us."

"Oh so that what it's about, you think you can make it out there then fine go"

"Am going for a walk" I told her as walked off and grabbed my cloak and gloves before walking out. I didn't want to stay in the house long because If I did who knows what would have happened. The opened and out runs Elizabeth behind me.

I had not thought much of it but Elizabeth always hated the cold, but here she was with me taking a walk on this late afternoon in this weather that not even our Cloaks or gloves can keep us warm. Something was on her mind, worrying her and I know it not about the fight. I can tell but I dare not ask her for she will say no. So I waited until I heard my name. "Katherine" she whispered wrapping her arms around herself.

"Yes," I answered, looking forward watching as the snowflakes fell soundlessly, taking their time before they reached their destined places of rest. I waited for her to continue but nothing came so I asked "what's wrong"

"Do you think we'll ever leave for home?" This wasn't the first time she had asked and I don't blame her. I miss home too but when a place is ravaged by war it's not safe for us to be with our father.

"Of course, when our father is ready to have us back we will go" and that will not be the first time I told her that but what more can I say our father is the reason for this war.

"I am just so worried about him." She sighed "father"

"Are you sure you're just worried about father"

"What do you mean"

"Well if I do remember there is someone by the name of Stephen Hale" I teased her.

Some people never escape their childhoods, not really. It's like a part of them just doesn't feel safe in the adult world. Elizabeth was like that, I like that about her. Her conversations always turned to horses, recipes, and musicals. She always had a smile on her face but after Stephen left. It's like he took most of it with him.

"Fine, your correct I am worried about him"

"All we can do at the moment is pray that they all come back home"

A tumble of blonde curl fell as she removed the hood of her winter cloak off her head. It wasn't that bland colored that's just a shade nicer than the white of old age, it was streaked with warm reddish hues and a creamy butter color. It gave her some warmth, complementing her pale face rather than making her look washed out. My mother, sister, and I all share the same futures. The only difference is I got my father's brown eyes.