7| Back At It

There were two knocks on my door before it was opened by my lady maid Susanna. She was smiling nervously as she entered the room. As she came closer I wondered her age, she looks very young perhaps my age or younger. I had seen her yesterday night when my mother and sister arrived.

"good morning milady" she greeted me with a smile as she set the tray down on the table beside the bed. I was at my desk getting in my morning read before my mother comes into my room to get me out. Since it's our first day back it had crossed my mind that mother would want me up early to do something.

"Good morning Susanna" I replied closing the book. "I have never had a lady's maid to my self before when I stated here my mother maid saw to me" I admitted. When we arrived I had gone straight over to Mrs. Ashwoods to say hello. She had taken care of Elizabeth and me when we were children.

When I saw her ran over having her the biggest hug. She was more of a mother to me than my own and for that I loved her. My mother had the look of disappointment on her face that I choose to see Mrs. Ashwoods over my father. Oh, the biggest smile she had on her face. It warms my heart to be back.

Susanna smiled as she poured the tea "how do you like your tea milady"

"A little milk and sugar please," I told her. She added a splash of milk and a sugar cube before she stirred it and handed it to me carefully. I took a sip of the tea and thanked her.

Susanna looked about the room before her eyes focus on the halfway unpacked trunk. I had started it unpack last night but go a terrible headache and decided to go to bed. "Would you like me to finish unpacking for you milady?" she asked.

"Would you, thank you so much, Susanna"

"It not a problem milady" she stated as she got stared. After she was finished she brought over the letters in which William had given to me and my heart skipped a beat. "Where shall I put these," she asks and I took them from her and put them into the book I was reading.

"Shall we do your hair?" I nodded and set the teacup down and made my way over to the dressing table. She walked over behind me and began to take my ribbons out letting my hair down.

"Susanna I am a big person on trust" I started as she bushed my hair. "And I hope that we can be good friends" she looked at me in the mirror as if I asked her to kill someone. Her face quickly changes and she agreed that we can indeed be friends. She smiled at me and ask "how do you want it style"

"It doesn't matter," I told her, and Just as I predicted my mother storms into my room scaring poor Susanna but I was used to her ways.

"Yes it does matter, style her in the finest we are having breakfast with lord Marten and his son"

"Mother why the foul mood it's only but the morning?"

"Hurry and be down, they will arrive soon" she gave Susanna a look as to continue with what she was doing.

"Why do I need to rush mother," I asked her calmly as Susanna finished my hair. "it's not me lord Nathaniel is found of "

She ignores me and went over to my wardrobe and begin to go through my good gowns. She picked one out and lay it on the bed. "That will need ironing" she spoke to Susanna looking at the girl as if the was something foul under her nose.