5| We're Going Where

Market shopping is my favorite time of the week. Once a week every evening I am in the square moving between the stalls. Sure, many of the best things are long gone and with the war, it's hard to get everything that you need. but what I want is vegetables for hearty winter soup and of those there are plenty; turnips, swede, fat carrots, and bunches of other things that I need. I take the bruised egg pumpkin and other things that were close to spoiled that people are too stupid to take up.

I wish father was here with us so that he can see and experience what his people are going through first hand. When I get back home I will have to tell him all about it.

The footpaths were crowded with stalls selling sacks of nuts and dried fruit, or meat roasting on roasting skewers... Rich and unfamiliar scents cut through the smell of the mud so heavy I could taste them in my mouth.

"Good day Lucy," I told her as I walked over to her stall. She sold powdered spices that lay in rust red and dusty yellow piles or spilled bright green from sacks as large as feed bags.

"Hello Mrs.Katherine, what are you looking for today" she stands up and I pointed to the bag of mixed spices. "How many?"

"I'll take three-pack please," I told her, though we only needed one at the moment I wanted to buy as many as I can. Her mother had passed away a few days ago and her father is off fighting for our people.

"Three, do you that many miss?" She questioned still she handed them to me. "You can never have too many spices, Lucy," I told her as I paid, I put them away into my basket before I left her stall in search of some fruits for Elizabeth.

Built next to a forest, the settlement of Hull is home to many great fighters lead by Mr. John who was the one that accepted us here even if that means putting his people in danger. This settlement wasn't built by a forest by accident, as it has strong metal ores, which is of great importance to the people of Hull and its success.

Hull has a wounded economy mainly because of the first war that happens but they are supported by cooking, trade, and fighters. But their biggest strengths are elaborate blacksmithing and refined baking. However, Hull lacks people skilled in herbalism.

"Thank you for the apples," I told the Young gentleman when I heard a loud crash. Everyone stopped what they were doing and was looking in the direction the sound came from before continuing what they were doing.

"How dear you steal from me," the man at the other side of the market yells as he lifts the child off the ground by one arm. "Am sorry sir I didn't mean to" the little boy cried, he wore something that was once a shirt that is now gross, tattered and dirty,
the bottom is worn and there's a huge hole in the front, leaving much of him exposed to the winter wind.

He did have on a jacket over his shirt. It's in a fairly good condition, apart from the tears and stains, but at least it helps him stay warm, even if only for a little while. His little sister was standing behind him also in tears pulling on his arms as to leave.

"What mean you ent mean to, you got to for this you no" I paid for my things and walked over to the man and the kids" but we don't have any money," the boy told the man only fueling his anger.

He was about to smack the boy when I walk up. "Sir they're just kids," I told him. I stand with in front of the kids and they grabbed onto my arms.

"This has nothing to do with you lady"

"They're hungry, maybe they haven't heard eaten in days"

"That gave them no right to steal"

"I will pay for the stolen goods sir" As I pay for the stolen goods, I added more food to the bags. I hand them the bag after I told them never to steal again. "Thank you miss," the boy told me before he grabbed his sister's hand and ran off.