10| A Betrayal

I was walking in the west wing looking for Elizabeth. Whenever she does not want to be around others, she always hides in the west wing ever since she was a little girl. I don't know why she chooses the west wing because it is pretty terrifying. After all, no one usually stays in the West Wing.

The west wing is mainly for guests, Lord Martin and his son Lord Nathaniel Martin are the only guests we had in a very long while.

The only thing I can hear is my footsteps hitting on the floor. I better find Elizabeth quickly or my father will be mad. He had requested to speak to us both. As I turned the corner I stop and the sound of a slap rings out with a soft cry following soon after. I stood still, it was coming from the room further down the hall.

"You will do as I say if you want to become king of Delaware" Lord Marten shouts at who I think to be his son. I was about to march right in there and defend Nathaniel because no one deserves to be treated like that. No matter what they did.

I stopped in my tracks when I heard when came out of Nathaniel's mouth, with no emotion at all. "How can I become king if I married the second daughter's father. Why not marry the first." I was shocked, to say the least, I know my parents had arranged this marriage to get more men to fight the war with them but I actually thought that Nathaniel had a real feeling for my sister.

"Charles and Victoria are very touchy about their eldest daughter Katherine but never the less I have thought of it" Marten spoke with disgust especially when he said my name. How can I blame him we did not have a very first meeting.

"I don't want to become king father I already have a title that enough for me"

"What the title lord. That has nothing compared to the king. When you have married that fool Elizabeth and they had won the war. This kingdom will be your son. " He laughed, then came movement in the room. My blood felt like it was boiling, I was so angry I just wanted to go right in there and tell them what I thought of the matter but I waited to hear more. I will most definitely be going to my father with this information.

"We just have to get Katherine out the picture and that rate she's going it going to be easy" Lord Marten was a smart and devious man and I fear that his words might come to pass and he may get away with it. They lowered their voice so I moved closer, I wasn't going to miss anything. If the Marten think they can come into my home and take advantage of my family's generosity because of this war they are wrong.

"But how you're not going to kill her are you?"

"Enough with the questions now put on a smile we have to meet with the king and queen"

"What are you doing?" Elizabeth came up behind me scaring me badly that I jumped knocking over the vase onto the fall. All conversation in the room stopped, if they had not heard Elizabeth they sure as heard the broken vase. I grabbed Elizabeth by the hand and pulled her around the corner out of the view of the door.

"What goin-" I put my hand over her mouth silencing her as we heard the door opened. Now I was truly scared if they thought someone was listening in, they might want to get things done even quicker.

"Who was it?" Nathaniel asked his father in a low whisper I almost missed it.

"I don't know" he pushes something, screaming in anger "whoever it was they now know,"

"What are we going to do"

"Nothing for now," he told Nathaniel kicking the broken vase. Elizabeth and I looking around the corner to see both men leaving heading back to the main halls. When they were out of sight we came out of hiding.

"Something is going on with Lord Marten and his son," I told her as I began to pace the halls. Trying to think of what my next move would be with what I and just learned. In a situation such as this, it would be odd to not have anxiety.

Elizabeth grabbed me by my shoulder pulling me to a stop "Should we tell father?" She asked, I turned around to face her. That was the first thing on my mind, to tell our father but I am afraid he wouldn't believe us because I don't want to let Elizabeth get married to Lord Nathaniel. He would think of it as a way out of that

"What we should be asking is if he would believe us," I told her looking up at my sister for help on what to do. I being to get a headache, I don't know what to do.

"Of course he would it's father we're talking about," she told me.

"I don't think he would," I told her honestly

"Why not, I know mother wouldn't but father..."

"Because your marriage depends on him winning the war Elizabeth don't you see that."

"So what should we do?" I have been asking myself that for a while and still I don't know that answer.

"Act as if we know nothing and be careful around them until we get evidence to support our claim," I told her, it the best thing we both could do. They don't know I was the one listening in and the little information my sister knows about the situation the better.

"Okay, but I have a meeting with Lord Nathaniel soon"

"You would be with a chaperone, would you?"

"Yes"

"Then you will be fine" we both went our separate ways, I had forgotten why I was in search of Elizabeth. I had stayed in the hall close to the Marten's door wondering if I should go into the room or not. I am sure they would have something that I can use against them to get my father on our side.

But is it snooping if you live here and would soon own the place?

I gave up, my curiosity was getting the best of me. I walked over to the door and leaned to turn the door handle when it opened if self. I jumped back, I was sure they were going to kill me right here and now. I was relieved and shocked when I saw Susanna walked out. Needless to say, we both were frozen staring at each other.

"Your highness, what are you doing?" she asked with a little bit of panic in her voice like she had been caught doing something wrong.

"I could ask you the same Susanna," I told her crossing my arms over my chest. I was the one in charge here I want going to let her see that I was also panicking right now.

"I was coming here to get Lord Marten for his meeting with my father and why are you here" I still answered her like nothing was wrong, lying through my teeth.

"I was doing a favor for Abby your highness she had the task of delivering tea for the Lord's" I see she is also good at lying through here's because when the Lord's left I heard no one else go into the room. This means one thing she was there when they were talking about their plan to get the crown. I would have understood if she was just listening to tell me but she didn't she chose to lie.

"Well, where is lord Marten" I played it off, I couldn't believe it I trusted Susanna like my own sister. I trusted her to tell her about me and Prince William. Something my sister still doesn't even know about. How could she, I felt like crying right then and there but I kept my head held high

"I am sorry your highness you just missed him, I just stayed back to clean the mess"

"Very well I will leave you with your chores" I turn swiftly and left her in the hall. She was lying and though her lie would have fooled others, I knew the conversation that was held in the room had something becoming closer to be as my lady's maid. But no more everything she asks me from now on I will have to be careful how I answer. I hope she bought my lie.

 I hope she bought my lie