11| Taking Big Risks

I made my way into Northshore where I had plans to meet Douglas. He had a safe passage for me to meet with William. It has been over a month since I last saw William because it was getting hard to leave the castle unnoticed by anyone. I have been writing to William whenever I can. The last he had written he told me that he was wounded and that was a while ago.

I can only pray that he will recover. When the carriage pulled to a stop I pulled my cloak over my head, it covers most of my face. The door opens and the driver helped me out.

"Do you need me to wait for you miss?" he asked politely closing the carriage door. "No that will not be necessary" I turned away from the small shop and paid the man for his service. He hopped back on the carriage and rode away.

It was really early in the morning, the sun had now risen and most people were still indoors. I walked over to the door and knocked, I waited for an answer. That's when a light kit up inside. It did take Douglas a while to open the door and when he did he invited me in.

"Good morning your highness" he greeted me. He looked outside to see if anyone seen or followed me. When he was done he closed the door and lead me to the back room. "Douglas, I said you can call me Katherine" I smiled.

"I know, but calling you by your name would mean we're friends. Which we are not" he carries on getting things from the walls and shelves. He then turned to me and bowed "No disrespect princess"

"It's alright Douglas"

"It just that if I am your friend, I am just getting way too involved with this. As you can see am quite old myself" he explained, I did not understand him one bit. That just how Douglas is the more that I got to know him over these past few months the less I understand him really.

"How long until we leave?" I asked setting my things down.

"Soon as we get word that's the border is open" he walked out of the room liming with his cane. "Well then there nothing we can do about that" I laughed, I was nervous to see William again after so long of writing to him. I worried that we would lose what we have because of how little we see each other.

It has crossed my mind that William doesn't love me as he says. Using me to get to my father. I mean you can lie over letters but when I see the way he looks at me those thoughts go away.

"No, but do you want some tea princess" I jumped at the sound of Douglas as he came back into the room holding a tray with one hand. I got up and help him put it on the table.

"Yes please"

William and his troop were in a small village just off Chester. I got out of the carriage and Douglas gave me directions to find where William stayed. He said he had some runs to make at the market for his shop and that he would wait on me this time. Usually, William organizes a ride back to Northshore for me where ever he is.