9| Spring Letters

I quickly open William's letter that Susan had brought to my room. I had to tell her about William and me a while back and she has been helping me get to North Shore without my father finding out. I may now know her that long but I trust in her that she will keep it a secret. I sat at my desk with the wind open the sun was shining brightly told and the warm air blew in. I do miss winter but spring will always be my favorite time to be out in the garden.

To my darling Katherine, the letter began with. I smiled the other letters that William sent to me these past few months always began dear Katherine and seeing this change warms my heart. This letter was the longest one I have ever gotten from him. I took my time reading everything.

I hope all is well in Delaware, though I have gotten a bit worried when I have not seen a letter from you in a while. I have been thinking about you all the time since your last visit and about how very much I feel for you. So I wanted to sit down and let you know how truly in love with you I am.

I had visited William in person last month. It was the biggest risk that I could have taken but with Douglas and Susanna, I had gotten out and back into the castle unseen by anyone.

I still remember clearly the moment when we first met. You were very kind and caring though I was being very stubborn. I hope when we meet again that you can read to me again. I was smitten from the very start and I am not the only one that likes you. My little sister Jane has found our letters since I am back at Chester. She wants to meet you one day.

Jane, I have never met the little girl but William has always spoken of her with a smile on his face. His mother had died having birth to his little sister and she always reminds him of her. He said I will meet her one they but unlikely and we bother knew it.

But here we are months later, and you manage to leave me wanting more. You truly complete me. These last few months have been the happiest of my life in these dark times. I can't tell you how lucky I feel to know you. I truly think you are the most beautiful woman in the world. I love the feeling of your hands in my hair, Your smile lifts my spirits on even my worst days. I love your laugh and your ability to find humor in every situation. I'm so grateful for everything you do.

I will always love you, no matter what happens, even if we can be together. I will be absolutely true and faithful to you forever if you will let me. If you are willing to be mine. I hope you will have an answer in your next letter. My love for you will never end, I will love you until the end of our lives. Please do write back soon. I will be in the big city of Rough water.

Love,
W.

There was a knock from the other side of the door. I folded the letter putting it away with the other I have received from William over the past couple of months. Elizabeth rushed into my room, smiling. "And why are you so happy" I smiled back getting from the table. She grabbed onto me and pulled me into her body and we began to dance to her singing. "We are in spring how can you not be happy"

She had been begging for the sun since the first day of winter. She pulled away and said "Besides I am here to get you because mother has called for us to the garden for afternoon tea"

"Why?" I questioned

"I don't know, but the weather is great, and I got a letter from Stephen saying he will be in Delaware soon" I froze mouth dropped before we both started jumping and shouting. I couldn't believe it. Stephen, here in Delaware, soon. I was very happy for Elizabeth but also so worried her wedding was in the summer which may seem far away but isn't.

"He's coming here,"

"Don't tell anyone but I heard father is doubling the guards" she changed the subject, she had a tendency to do so a lot. But what she said got me thinking why would father do that. Though there was a small advancement send on Chester not too long ago. We haven't heard back as yet.

"But why" I whispered

"I don't know, come on let go" she grabbed me by my arm and pulled me out the door. We both ran down the hallway passing Susanna on the way up. "Your highness but what about your snack," she asked holding the tray.

"Sorry, Susanna but I am having tea with my mother" I managed to reply before Elizabeth turned a corner. We walked put back and down a long part before coming across my mother and lord Nathaniel having tea and biscuits under the largest tree in the garden. When we got closer they notice us, Lord Nathaniel got up and greeted both my sister and me and we did the same. He was now holding on to Elizabeth keeping her closer to his side before he Spoke up again "Your highness, I was wondering if you would like to take an afternoon stroll with me in the village"

"Am sorry lord Nathaniel but I already have plans with-" she was about to tell him off then mother's intervene cut her off.

"Oh that quite alright dear, you are excused," she told them kindly, shooing them away. I watched as they both walked back in the direction we came. I wish I could squeeze him but the neck. Everyone with an eye can see Elizabeth wants nothing to do with him. Why can't he?

"Sit Katherine, let me speak with you" my Mother called be getting back my attention. I pulled back the chair and sat down. The maid then came over and pour me a cup of tea before going back into her still stance.

"Is everything alright mother?" I asked taking a sip of tea, it was mint and honey. It's my least favorite flavor but nevertheless, I drank it.

My mother sighed putting down her cup "Your young and at your prime time Katherine, you have to take advantage of that. This war wouldn't last long and once it's done you will become queen."

"Yes, mother I am aware of this"

I knew where this was going and it might not end well for the both of us. I am already not in the mood with what just happened. "Good because you're now a kid anymore you will need a man by your side"

"Mother let's not do this, I beg of you" I sat up ready to walk away but the authority and firmness in her voice stop me with just three words.

"Sit down Kat" she has not called me Kat since I was a kid, but I do with what she said. "Your too stubborn for your own good you know that I was just like you when I was younger not wanting to get married"

"It's not that I don't want to mother, I just want it to be my choice that all"

"Your choice. What, please don't tell me you are in love with a blacksmiths son" she laughed eating her biscuit.

"Mom that stereotypical, but no am not"

"Just remember Katherine my dear that when you become queen, you will need a strong king by your side. Your father and I wouldn't be here forever. But also know this a real queen makes her man a real king, be sure to remember how to treat one another. You are, after all, both of brave heart."

"Thank you mother I will" I got up and leaned over to kiss my mother on the cheek. It was a rare occasion to have my mother and hold a conversation without the other shouting. It was nice and know what she saying is true, I will have to put the kingdom before myself. But what if I want to be selfish? To choose my own happiness. I turned away to walk back into the castle and stopped.

"Then why can't you do the same for Elizabeth?" I asked, I heard her chair move back, she was silent for a while before answering the question. "Because my mother never did the same for me, and it what must be done." I looked back at her stunned, she can't be serious. He walks off in front of me without uttering another word.

 He walks off in front of me without uttering another word