Chapter 1

"Prim would you mind helping me arrange these tulips please?" May asks me

"Prim would you mind helping me arrange these tulips please?" May asks me. May is basically like a mother to me. She took me in after I was sent to foster care after my parents died in a car crash. She's basically the mother I never had. She takes care of me and makes sure that I have a roof over my head at all times. Sure I was never really close with my actual parents, but having both your parents makes you feel whole. 

Never take a moment for granted, it may be the last.

I went to a public school my whole life and I dream of going to college. I know some people would be like 'ew college' 'why would you go there?' Well, I want a good education. So after I finished high school I agreed to help May with her flower shop. It's been 3 years since I last went to school but I'm still determined to go to college, even if I may be 40 years old. Okay maybe not, but still. 

"Of course," I reply back to May and make my way over to her. We have a big wedding coming up for one of May's clients. She getting married next week and wants us to make a wedding bouquet for her. She has requested a bunch of tulips and roses. Even some lilies. I think this bouquet will turn out quite nice. 

"And finished," May says turning the bouquet around for a little show. "Thanks for your help, Prim."

"No problem," I reply with a smile. "Do you need me to close up the shop?" I question. I hate May staying so late just to lock down the store, so everyday I request to do it for her.

"No need honey, it's pretty scary out in the dark. Especially for a young girl like you to be walking around." May responds with worried eyes. And everyday she declines. 

Of course she never lets me close down. "May, I promise I'll be fine. I can even call Jed to come over and help me. He's a big guy." I try to reason with her. "Please?" I beg.

With a defeated sigh she nods her head and turns to face me. This time with a serious expression on her face. "Okay, but once you close down you come home right after. Got that?" She says while pointing a finger at me. I break out into a huge grin and tackle her with a huge hug. 

"Thank you!" I say hugging her tightly.

"Okay, I can't breathe." She gasps out. I quickly release her and go back to transferring the growing sunflowers into bigger pots for their roots to spread out and grow. 

I starts humming a song to which May chuckles softly at. "Silly girl." She says as she helps out a customer. 

♠︎ ♠︎ ♠︎

It's now closing time and May begins to pack her items. "And don't forget to call me once you lock the doors. And call me again once you're on your way home. And again when you reach--"

"Okay I get it May." I say smiling softly cutting her off. "You have absolutely nothing to worry about." I say grabbing her soft hand in mine. "I'll call you every minute." I say and her worried lines on her forehead start to relax.