The unexpected reaction

The weekend spent with the Tayos was quite a memorable one. I enjoyed every bit of my stay because it reminded me of what having a family felt like.

"Omo mi I will miss you dearly." Alan's grandmother said as she wrapped me in a warm embrace. I could feel her wrinkled skin through her clothes.

"I will miss you too Maami." I replied giving her one of my sweetest smiles. My eyes met with hers, and I could feel the sincerity in them. She truly did care for me.

In a twinkle of an eye, Lewa surfaced from nowhere and threw herself on me which made me almost lose my balance. I chuckled hard and accepted her passionate hug. "Valerie, I will miss you so much! Don't worry when we have face time on Skype I will gist you all that went down between me and Edafe while returning from the Lounge." She said then winked at me and stuck out her tongue at her big bro.

"Shalewa Tayo!" Alan and Deji said in unison. Alan brooded, he obviously wasn't so cool with the whole idea of his friend getting too close to Lewa.

"Mummy your precious baby of the house is now becoming a spoiled child o." Deji said

"Well, who do you think is influencing her negatively? You that dated three of her friends nkor?" Alan's mum said rolling her eyes.

"Ah, mummy!" Deji said faking an innocent expression.

Alan's mom snorted "Am I lying?" She asked.

"Then she should go and date Deji's friend and leave my friend alone bayi... That sounds like a better comeback now doesn't it?" Alan said while he placed our bags in his BMW X5 jeep.

"Big bro, why is your body peppering you now?" Lewa asked and quickly jumped away as though someone was pursuing her. Alan stopped and stared at his melodramatic sister for a few seconds, then resumed what he was doing.

"Deji's friend kor? Deji's friend ni? Don't you know all Deji's friends will be like Deji? Abi do you want your sister to date someone like this your brother?" Alan's mom asked Alan as she snorted again.

"Ah, Mummy!" Deji said again, still wearing that fake innocent expression.

Alan's dad cleared his throat which drew everyone's attention, then made his declaration like an overlord, "Lewa is not dating anyone till she finishes college."

"Daddy, eh?" Lewa asked, pretending she did not hear her dad well the first time.

"You heard me, young lady." Alan's dad said maintaining a stern profile.

"But that's not fair now! Mom said you both started dating in high school, you even shared your first kiss at the back of the school toilet back then." Lewa blurted out, then covered her mouth, as though she was trying to swallow the words she just spilled.

Alan's mom blushed while Alan's dad was dumbfounded, he looked constipated as he stared in his wife's direction with a face that read. "You shared that with the kids too?" I suppressed a laugh while Alan and Deji looked up to the sky as though they heard nothing. I guess the artist who sang about parents not being heroes was right after all.

"Oluwatayo is that true?" Alan's grandma asked in shock.

"Hem! hem!!" Alan's dad cleared his throat. "I guess you both should be leaving now, we all have been standing and talking for quite a long time now." Alan's dad said as he quickly covered up the real issue on ground. I thought to myself, this man was one smooth criminal. "It was lovely having you around Valerie."

"Thank you, sir. It was also lovely for me. You have such a beautiful family." I said, he replied by slightly nodding his head. Then to everyone, I said, "Thank you all for having me."