Sparks

"You are the contractor Pamela contacted for my project?" I asked still in disbelief.

"Well. It's not precisely like that though. You see, Pamela never mentioned you in the picture when she spoke about this renovation project. She just gave me the address of my employer today and said this employer is back in the country, so I should try to stop by her place, and get to talk a little about the project. Haha, I was even expecting to see an old lady." He smirked. "I guess Pamela has some explaining to do." He said.

I looked at him skeptically. Was he using those acting skills he always had back then on me now? Was this some conspiracy between him and Pamela? Was she trying to bring us back together? Was he trying to get back together with me via this project? No, that wasn't possible, for all we know, he could be happily married, or engaged. Should I ask him if he is? No, that would be going too far. So many thoughts were crowding my head at the same time.

"Oh! forgive my manners, Please come in. On a normal day, I would have asked you to have a sit. But..."

"The sofas are very dusty... I guess that's what you wanted to say?" He completed the sentence for me.

"Exactly, my point."

Alan stepped into the house. "I wouldn't stay here for long though."He said. Then peeped at his Rolex wristwatch and said. "Uh. It's 5:40 pm, so I definitely wouldn't be staying for long." He said. Then he looked up and caught me staring at him. He cocked a handsome brow up, then grinned sweetly at me. Which made my legs feel like that of a jellyfish.

"10 years sure does look good on you, Valerie." He said. I earned an appreciative gaze from him.

"You don't look too bad yourself," I said. Even if I knew that was a lie from the deepest part of hades. The young man standing right in front of me was very far from just being described in those simple unworthy words. He was like the combination of hot chocolate and vanilla eye candy. Heck! His good looks suddenly made the temperature of the room a bit warmer.

Alan was always cute back then though, I used to even refer to him as beautiful. But, those were just cute looks. 10 years had transformed him into a damn hunk of a man. Now his masculinity was well pronounced, his abs and biceps made him look like a greek god. This fitted black T-shirt he was putting on, even made my situation all worse. I stared at his broad chest and salivated. I could only imagine how it would feel to be held in those arms now. He looked like an FBI agent and a fireman. What a hot combo for just one creature.

I swallowed hard. For the whole 10 years, I spent in the United States, I hadn't seen a man whose looks caught my attention like he did now. His light chocolate brown skin was so sophisticated. He had really done well with himself these past years. Alan definitely wasn't the same teenage boy I left behind in Nigeria without saying adieu to.

"I didn't come here with my tape, to take the necessary measurements. Like I said earlier, I just wanted to stop by and get to know my employer. And to my pleasant surprise... You popped into the picture. I am kinda pleased I took this contract now." He said and winked at me.

"Uh-" With his tongue in his cheek. He said; "There is a lot of work to be done in this building. I would be blowing off most of these walls you see, in order to create more than enough room to play with, in the course of updating this Victorian. Uhm. And these awful floor tiles would be gone too." I gazed at his sober profile, as he dished out his plans on ripping the current look of the mansion apart and transforming it into what his mind's eye envisioned.

It was quite apparent that he was really an ace in this field. That's Alan Tayo for you, a young man who always had a resilient drive to be perfecto in every fraction of his life. One of the many reasons I fell hopelessly for him back then in school, one of the million reasons I am still drawn to him now. A part of me was at peace that Alan was the one handling my project though, because I wouldn't want my dad turning in his grave because I hired a nasty contractor who ruined the home he strived to build.