The reunion

I always had a thing for white things. I owned a white jeep, a white phone, a white iPad, heck! and even a white laptop! I can confidently say I am obsessed with the color. So the second I set my eyes on that gown designed by Ralph Lauren, I knew it was the one.

I stepped out of my white range rover sport 2018 edition, in my transparent glass heels. I know you guys might be envisioning Cinderella in your mind's eye, well sorry to disappoint ya, that chic ain't got two shits on me right now. Wearing these heels felt as if diamonds were cuddling my cute feet. I was ready to have mad fun, like zero worries, zero sad memories, and most especially, zero awkward moments. This was gonna be a smooth ride.

"Alright, let's do this." I said to myself, then walked into the big hotel building. The venue the organizers of the reunion picked was a hall. The place was quite luxurious. Chandeliers flooded the high POP ceiling, which gave the place an exquisite glow. All along I thought Pamela was just being hyperbolical or melodramatic when she accentuated that the reunion was C-L-A-S-S-Y. Now the point she was trying to make, was really really glaring. The hall was quite a special one, it had love seats stationed at different points beside the walls. I could see few couples lounging on some of the sofas having a tête-à-tête, while some were standing and sipping from their champagne flutes. It was like a gathering of the crème de la crème of the society.

"Valerie Okofu!" I heard a familiar voice call my name from behind. I prayed and hoped that the voice didn't belong to who I thought it did belong to. I stiffened my back and pretended I didn't hear. Then the voice called out again "Valerie Okofu!" There and then, I knew there was no escaping. I turned around and came eye to eye with my horrific mare, it was no other person, than bloody I TOO KNOW Runke Bamidele. Crap! This was not the person I expected would welcome me to the reunion.

"Oh, Runke. Hi!" I said, trying my best to look excited to see her. But mentally, I kept rolling my eyeballs.

"Valerie! When did you arrive in the country? The last I heard was that you were in the United States." She said, also pretending to be happy to see me. "Cut the act girl! I know this is one of your sessions to launch an unnecessary irksome competing war with an innocent person, too bad I am your prey." I tongue lashed her in my thought.

"Uh. Barely a week ago." I said, faking a smile for the annoying being standing in front of me. I got same too, but I guess hers was even faker.

"You don't look too bad, I guess daddy's money is really working its magic." Oh no she didn't! Instantaneously, the smile vanished from my face. I hooked up a brow. Like really? Was she actually trying to say I was some lazy ass, who did nothing but squandered her father's money? Valerie breathe, I told myself. Zero awkward moments, zero awkward moments, I constantly recalled.

"Well, that's not actually the truth." I cleared my throat with pride, then continued. "I work off my butt all the time to ensure I enjoy the desired comfort I crave. I am into real estate marketing... And yeah, I am also an artist, one of my works was displayed at the 2018 New York Art Festival, which attracted a lot of accolades and liquid cash to me. Haha, so I think we ought to paraphrase that statement you just made, ...I guess my money is really working its magic." I said, ending my boastful statement with a smirk. She was wholly stunned beyond comprehension. Oh! what was she thinking, that I would just stand there and let her run down all my hard work with her stupid little disrespectful mouth? Hell no!

"Really, that's cool. Well, I own a big supermarket at Surulere." She said, trying her best to look unruffled by the fact that I was far more successful than she was, or she could ever think of being. I basked in the moment. A supermarket? Haha! So for being such an ITK. I guess that didn't pay off so well now, did it?

"Oh, that's really cute." I replied, with a touch of sarcasm in my tone. I wasn't gonna be merciful to her this time at all, she had always been on my case since secondary school Iike as though the both of us were dragging something.