Alan's Family

"You know, back then I used to be all over your mum in this manner... Taking her by surprise, and trying to blow her mind in very inexplicable ways. I guess you are indeed your father's son, Alan Tayo." Alan's father said as he descended the few staircases to the living room. Those words made my cheeks burn. Alan's dad had been watching us all this while.

"You taught me how to treat a lady right." Alan said as he unwrapped his arm around my waist, and then he walked up to meet his dad. He was about to prostrate when his father stopped him by holding his shoulders, then he embraced him. The father-son relationship I was seeing now, reminded me of the father-daughter relationship I used to share with dad. The thought of my late dad hurt me like hell. It's really painful that he wasn't alive to see the woman his baby girl was becoming.

Once their embrace ended, Mr. Tayo focused his attention on me. Before he could say a word to me, I quickly greeted him

"Good Day sir."

"Good Day young lady." He replied with a warm friendly smile. Wow! It was then I realized how good looking he was. Mr. Tayo was obviously in his earlier sixties, but he didn't have a protruding belly as most rich elderly Nigerian men do have. If not for his hair that was all gray, he would have passed to be Alan's elder brother. This T-shirt and jean he was rocking even made him look younger.

"So tell me, what spell did you cast on this young man to take him from being a James Bond who didn't really care much about love to this lovestruck Romeo." Mr. Tayo said, then paused in between the sentence for a sec or two, then he continued. "Don't get me wrong, you are obviously pretty enough to catch the eye of any man my son's age, but... Alan has not brought any lady home. So the fact that he decided to bring you home must only mean one thing... You are special to him."

The word special rang in my head. Did I deserve to be called special? I smiled softly at Mr. Tayo whose gaze was still very much fixed on me. He was really bent on knowing why I was so special to Alan. I looked at Alan who gazed back at me. We both knew the whole dating stuff was a drama, but deep down we still knew these kisses we had been sharing was very far from just acting... At least I was certain about that.

As I was about to cook up a story that would be pleasuring to Mr. Tayo's ears, Alan interrupted, and I was thankful for that. He said. "Uhm. Dad, we are going to tell you about all of that later... I think it's my story to tell, not hers. Besides, I think what we should be talking about is how to go about the renovation of senator Nnamdi's company."

That clearly stole Mr. Tayo's attention, coz the next thing he said was. "Oh, that's very true. Nnamdi's boy stopped by earlier today to drop some papers for you."

"Really?" Alan asked, still trying to distract his dad from probing my life.

"Yeah really. It's in my room." Mr. Tayo said.

"I think we should check that out now." Alan suggested.

"That's a good idea son." Mr. Tayo replied. Then to me, he said. "Valerie make yourself comfortable, this is your home. Okay?"

Shit! I didn't merit this hospitality I was getting. I could bet a tooth that Alan's dad was probably picturing his "grandchildren" already.

"I would do just that sir. I am so glad I have finally met you." Then I added. "Alan has told me so much about you." I lied. Alan's eyebrows went up, and the expression on his face was like Oh what now?

"Really? What and what did he say?" Alan's dad asked me as he folded his arms in front of his broad chest. Way to go Valerie! All it took was for you to keep your big mouth shut. Scratch that, medium-sized mouth shut.