Chap. 30

"So what are you looking for in a Prom dress?" I asked Kylie.

We were sitting side-by-side on my bed, looking at the thousands of choices of Prom dresses online.

"Something sexy, but not too sexy," she said, exiting the webpage she was currently on. "Something that hugs all my good features and blurs the bad ones."

"You don't have any bad ones," I informed her.

"Shut up."

I leaned back with a sigh. "Prom dresses are intense."

"What are you looking for?"

"Just something pretty, I don't know."

"That's your problem," she informed me. "You have to go in with an idea of what you're looking for."

I just shrugged, flipping to yet again another page of Prom dresses. "It just all seems so overwhelming."

"So when do you want to go actual shopping?" Kylie asked me.

"There's more?"

"Well you have to actually go to a store and put the dresses on, yeah," she informed me.

I let out a sigh, flopping back on my bed.

"Let's say tomorrow," she suggested. "After school we'll hit up the mall and make an afternoon of it."

"I don't even have a date yet," I pointed out.

"Stop being so melodramatic. You have a long-time boyfriend. Now shut up and pull yourself together."

I jutted out my bottom lip, and Kylie hit me in the face with a pillow.

"Some best friend you are," I pouted.

"I'm just realistic," she informed me. "You know that you're going with Bryce. It's not rocket science."

"I just want him to ask me."

"He's a boy. You have to tell him this stuff."

"But if I tell him then it's not going to be special."

She rolled her eyes. "Just leave it to me then."

~*~

I pulled an emerald green dress off the rack, observing it before adding it to my pile.

I still didn't know what I was looking for in a Prom dress.

"This one is gorgeous," Kylie said, pulling a peach dress off the rack. "I just love this."

"I just feel overwhelmed," I admitted, staring at the racks of Prom dresses ahead of us. "What if I pick, like, the wrong Prom dress?"

"I don't know if that's possible," Kylie informed me, laughing.

"What if there's a perfect Prom dress out there for me and I pick the wrong one?"

"Well there's always your Senior Prom to fix it."

I let out a long sigh, heading towards the dressing room to try on the stack of dresses currently in my arms.

Kylie wasn't too far behind me, the two of us right next to each other as we tried on dress after dress.

"This one looks like I've been eaten by a dragon," I informed Kylie, as I stared at the emerald green dress that had looked so pretty on the hanger. "Or swallowed by Ariel."

I shed the dress, listening to Kylie inform me about her hideous dress selection as I slipped my next dress on.

And as it continued for the next half hour, the two of us trying on dress after dress, each one a failure.