Chap. 33

I looked over at Bryce, who was staring off to the side, avoiding eye contact with all of us.

"Are you kidding? I wouldn't miss it for the world," their dad said, as Kayla released him.

He reached over and shook Josh's hand. "Nice to see you again."

Again?

So they must be close. Or at least meet up every once in a while.

"You too," Josh said, with a smile.

And then he smiled at me, his eyes then looking over at Bryce.

Bryce was still staring off to the side as he crushed the cup in his hand.

Silence fell across the five of us, and I could sense the tension.

"Do you need a refill?" Bryce asked me, his eyes snapping over to me.

I looked down at my half-full cup.

"I'll get you one," Bryce offered, taking my cup before disappearing.

"Let me introduce you to some people," Kayla offered to her dad, leading him away.

Leaving just Josh and me.

Josh let out a nervous laugh, before tipping up the rest of his drink and downing it.

"I told her that it was a risky move," Josh said, with a sigh. "But someone's got to her walk her down the aisle I suppose."

"Are you guys close with him?" I asked.

Josh nodded. "He comes over for dinner quite frequently, and then we go over there sometimes too. He lives over in New Jersey, so it's not too inconvenient."

Why? Why Kayla and not Bryce?

"I should go find him," I said to Josh.

"It's a sticky situation," Josh explained to me. "So just be careful."

I nodded before heading over to the punch bowl, where Bryce was standing, his arms braced against the table and his head bent low.

I placed my hand on his back, causing him to jump a little.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, slowly rubbing his back.

He nodded, before looking away from me, his lips pressed together.

"Are you lying?" I asked.

He nodded again, looking back at me.

"I wasn't expecting that," he admitted.

"I wasn't either."

"I guess I knew he was going to be here, but I just wasn't expecting to..." Bryce trailed off, his jaw clenched. "I wasn't expecting..." He trailed off again. "Fuck."

"What's the matter?"

"I can't... I can't talk." He clenched his jaw for a few moments before releasing me. "That bastard's got me worked up to the point that I can't talk."

"Let's get out of here," I suggested. "Let's go get some dessert and relax for a little while."

He nodded, his jaw still clenched.

"It'll come back," I promised. "It always does."

~*~

"Good morning," Regina greeted, as I came out into the kitchen area.

"Good morning," I answered, with a smile.

"Is Bryce still asleep?"

I nodded.