Chap. 40

"Thank you for coming in today," Mrs. Wilcott said, with a stress smile.

"You know I'm always happy to help," I said, placing my hands on my hips as I observed the room before us.

The room that was filled with boxes and plastic soccer goals and basically everything we'd used during last summer's summer camp.

"Clayton's dad said Clayton was going to stop in after baseball practice," she said, clapping her hands together. "So we should be able to get this finished."

She had some pretty high optimism.

"And Kylie's on her way," I added. "But she had Drama Club after school."

"Girl power, okay?" Mrs. Wilcott asked, offering me a smile. "We've got this."

Right.

I flipped on the light switch as we stepped inside, letting out a long sigh.

I love working with children. I love planning events and putting smiles on their faces each and every day.

I don't, however, like physical labor of any kind. Including moving boxes and getting ready for Mrs. Wilcott's summer camp.

But it had to be done. And it was better than her having to hire people to do it, which would cost her a fortune that she doesn't have.

So the two of us began sorting through the boxes, organizing everything into the appropriate containers and folders.

It was a long and tedious process that had to be done before every summer.

"I'm sorry, I'm here!" Kylie's voice called behind us.

"Hello my dear!" Mrs. Wilcott called, waving her down. "Come on in, join the fun."

She laughed, giving Mrs. Wilcott a hug before plopping down next to me, helping me sort through my current pile of paperwork.

"The fun has only just begun," Kylie sang, with a smile.

I laughed, running my fingers through my ponytail.

"How was Drama Club?" Mrs. Wilcott asked. "What production are you guys doing this Spring?"

"Learned Ladies," she informed her. "It's not interesting at all. But you should come anyways."

"Oh you know I will. I've never missed a production."

"I tried to convince Sophie to join," Kylie said, shooting me a smile. "But she went for A-Team instead."

"I am not about to get up onstage and make a fool of myself," I said, shaking my head. "That's more your style."

The door opened again, and this time Clayton came in, followed by none other than Steven Anderson.

"You brought more help!" Mrs. Wilcott exclaimed, excitedly.

"I can't say he came willingly," Clayton said, with a half-smile. "But he's here."

"What am I here to do exactly?" Steven asked, looking around the room.

"Organize and sort my dear," Mrs. Wilcott said, standing up to greet him. "And who are you?"

"Steven Anderson."

"I'm Mrs. Wilcott, I'm so happy you came to help. Do you like pizza?"

"Yeah I guess."

"Good, because I ordered some and I would've asked you what kind you liked, but I didn't know you were coming. So I hope you're a fan of what I ordered."