Chap. 36

"Time to head back to reality," I said to Bryce, as we pulled up to the airport.

"Back to reality, oops there goes gravity," Bryce muttered.

I rolled my eyes, stepping out of the taxi.

"I'm Slim Shady yes I'm the real Shady all those other Slim Shadys are just imitating," Kayla sang, hopping out of the taxi as well. "Oh my gosh that was my jam."

"Yeah, let's not," Bryce suggested, going around to the back to retrieve our luggage.

"Such a party pooper."

Bryce just shook his head, handing me my bag.

"So what are your plans for today?" Kayla asked, as we headed inside.

"Homework," I said, looking over at Bryce.

He immediately rolled his eyes.

"Always a jerk."

He chuckled. "Sleep. Number one priority."

"You slept all night, the entire way here, and I'm sure you'll sleep on the plane ride home," Kayla pointed out.

"Let's put a shitload of poison into your body and see how you handle it," Bryce suggested.

"Alright Oscar the Grouch."

Bryce just glared at her.

"He stays grouchy," I informed her. "At least through the last few days of Chemo."

"I'm not grouchy," he declined.

I just exchanged glances with Kayla.

"Whatever you say," Kayla said, walking into the airport with us. "Have a safe flight home, okay?"

"I'll pass the message along to the pilot," Bryce said, with a nod.

"My God, can you not?"

"Sorry."

She gave me a tight hug. "Call me when you guys land so I know you got home safe."

I nodded.

"And then call me after your MRI, okay?" she asked Bryce, giving him a hug as well.

"You'll be on your honeymoon," he pointed out.

"I won't be able to relax until I hear from you anyways."

"It's just a check-up, nothing to stress over."

"I'll stress anyways. Just promise that you'll call."

"I'll call," Bryce promised. "But have fun in Aruba, don't get bitten by any foreign spiders or something."

"Always an asshole."

Bryce just chuckled, and Kayla kissed his cheek. "I love you."

"Yeah, I love you too."

We headed over to check-in, checking in our bags before heading over to airport Security.

"She just worries about you," I said, as we waited in line.

"She doesn't need to."

"She doesn't see you every day."

"That doesn't mean she needs to stress over every little thing. It's Chemo, what does she expect?"

"Tone it down," I said, with a laugh. "She's just making sure you're okay. That's what good sisters do."

He folded his arms across his chest, staring off to the side. His jaw was taut, his muscles bulging against his thin, white t-shirt.

He was pretty sexy when he was pissed off.