Chapter Two

Jason walked down Queen Street to his house with Ashley and Bella. As he glanced at her, she still seemed rattled by what had happened earlier. The way that guy could place a knife on her throat without hesitation when she didn't even do anything wrong was insane.

There was also the way Greyson could just throw him in the air with his mind. How could he do such a thing? Plus being a high rank, which is considered excellent. His power was strong, but he never had the opportunity to use it since he had no idea how it worked.

"Here's our house," Jason said, stopping in front of a house with white vertical siding. The front door was still closed, with the rusty mailbox shut.

Ashley rushed to the door and opened it. "Mom, dad?" She cried, searching the small house.

When they first stepped inside, there was a laptop open and scattered cookbooks on the kitchen table. He assumed his mother was going to be making something on her lunch break since Uden was ten minutes out of town.

Jason went to the laptop and saw a document his mother was typing. It was only a few words long and had a confusing meaning as he read it.

I'm not sure if he knows, but I'm sure he'll find out

It seemed she vanished when she was in the middle of typing her sentence. But who was he? Was it John, her husband? Maybe it was his dad and something he knew, or maybe it was even him.

"What's that?" Bella asked as she hovered over him.

"Something that's going to be impossible to know. My mother doesn't get many days off since she's a councillor at Uden Academy. The wording just seems off. Maybe it could be about one of the students?" He inquired.

"I don't know, but it's best to leave it for now," she sighed.

Jason stood and glanced around the rest of the house. Every room was empty, just as it was before he left for school that morning. He saw Ashley just sitting on her bed with lowered eyes. He obviously knew this would upset her, even if she was getting older.

The bed sank when he sat on it. His reflection in the mirror was now marked by a scrape on his cheek when Greyson sent him flying. The bigger problem was Ashley, though. Her head was hanging without her even looking at him. Her body trembled while she remained silent.

"Ashley, it will be okay. I know it's a lot to take in," Jason said.

"I'm going to find Talia and Izzy. I want to make sure they're okay," she mumbled.

Ashley ran quickly, slamming the door behind her. Jason sighed, walking back into the living room. Bella was sitting on the couch, trying to decode the wording behind that document.

"You shouldn't look deeply into it," Jason said as he stood next to the coffee table. "We should probably see how the town is coming along."

He realized people who were fourteen and younger had barely a clue how to do anything. Everyone relied on their parents when it came to tasks like making food.

People were probably stealing and taking whatever they wanted. Plus, there are babies and toddlers. Who was taking care of them?

"Hey, there are dark clouds downtown!" Bella explained, pointing from the front window and dragging Jason out the door.

The two ran side by side, seeing the dark clouds of smoke at the main plaza. He looked around and saw some people looking at each other or panicking about what they could do.