Chapter Thirty-Three

It had been dark outside the infirmary windows. With her energy feeling drained, Emma wanted to lie down and sleep. It couldn't happen, especially with Cindy's injury. The wound had caused a scar under her eyelid. While healing her, Emma stayed quiet while Cindy cried at the odd time.

Emma sat next to the cot, her eyes closed and her head on the sheet. Cindy had fallen asleep, which had helped her get some rest.

James had been in the infirmary, but his wound had mostly healed. Soon, she'd have to go into the daycare to check for any large wounds, but she didn't want to do that.

Esme came skidding into the church infirmary. Emma opened an eye, seeing her sprawled on the floor.

"I gave Luke a makeover," Esme said breathlessly. "I tied him to a surgical table and cut off the rest of his arm. I also plucked his eyebrows and cut his hair."

Emma dropped her jaw. How could that even be possible with Luke? Half the time he is beating someone up or torturing someone.

"I knocked him out with some machine drug," Esme explained, as she pressed a hand on her knee. "Now he's tied up to stay there for a long time."

"And he's just tied up in the hospital?" Emma asked.

Esme nodded repeatedly, stumbling to stand. She looked between a sleeping Cindy and James, knitting her eyebrows together.

"Who's going to be the new doctor?" Esme asked.

Who knew that much skill, such as medication? Emma had no idea about having to distribute medication, but healing with a touch. Cindy didn't know much either, and she had spent more time here than she had.

"Can you think of anyone from Uden who could?" Esme asked, but Emma shook her head. It could be quite possible that they had to just guess.

Esme poked James' cheek, causing him to stir. "Let him rest!" Emma exclaimed, standing up and slapping her hand away. James had opened his eyes, staring at the both of them.

"He was a superhero today, though! Beating up Luke," Esme exclaimed, making air punches.

Emma groaned and shook her head at the girl. "And he got shot," she muttered with a sigh."We got the bullet out."

Emma pushed Esme to the opposite side, looking down at James. He raised his leg with ease, and his eyes widened.

"You actually took the bullet out? I thought you would have thrown up," Esme said, as Emma chewed on her lip. It had been that moist feeling that left her stomach turning.

"I wasn't much of a superhero," James mumbled.

"Lukey would have probably shot more of us. Or I probably would have shot him," Esme said, taking off her shoes, setting them on the cot. "They aren't bloody! I'm getting better at maintaining it."

Emma walked over toward a shelf near the small bathroom, grabbing some food. She took the plate of fries and a chicken sandwich, handing the sandwich to James.

"Nelson dropped this off for you," she said.

"See!" Esme exclaimed.

Emma set the plate down on the small bedside table that had a small light plugged in from a house nearby. James had just stared at the chicken sandwich that had been on a burger sandwich.

"I thought they used a long bun?" James asked, as he sat up on the cot against the wall.

"They don't have any. Nelson wanted to try his own creations," Esme murmured.

James nodded, biting into the sandwich. Esme grabbed a handful of fries and began eating them. This wasn't what she expected, since it was supposed to be his own food.