Chapter Fifteen

Scouting the area still seemed to lead to nothing. Esme drove them to Wasaga Beach. Looking around, something seemed off. They noticed that the change rooms were uneven, with bags scattered around the sand.

"Let's go swimming!" Esme cheered, taking off her shoes and speed-walking toward the water.

It wasn't busy, even with towels and beach umbrellas set up. Scanning near the edge of the water, he noticed the boats that rested in place. Hearing a splash of water, he spotted Esme lying on her back in the cold water.

"Superheroes need a break," she cheered, lifting a fist in the air.

Jason looked back up, seeing an actual boat moving from a distance, heading in their direction.

"Esme, we need to move!" he called, making her raise her wet hair and look back. She grabbed his hand, speeding toward the changing rooms.

The boat thudded to a stop in the sand while someone laughed scornfully. Someone jumped out of the boat from the front, landing with ease. Behind them, they dragged what seemed like a log. Jason walked toward the person, seeing Greyson dragging a body tied to a rope.

"Oh, hello, brother," he spat, stopping.

Scarlett slowly walked over, laughing scornfully. Luke followed behind, except he appeared drenched from head to toe. Rope was tied around his body while he gritted his teeth, glaring at Greyson.

"We were searching for bodies in the river," Greyson stated.

"Untie me!" Luke yelled, "I did nothing wrong!"

"Maybe you shouldn't have tried pushing me off," Scarlett snarled, her hand on her hip.

"You wouldn't move out of the way!" Luke exclaimed.

Greyson stared back at him with a hard glare, but Jason noticed that he shot Scarlett with the same expression.

"What are you going to do with the body?" Esme asked, holding her foot up.

"Bring it to town to get buried," Greyson said.

Greyson dropped the rope with the boy and went to untie Luke. It made him jump while wearing a sadistic grin on his face.

"Drag the body," Greyson ordered.

Luke logged it over his shoulder as he ran toward their SUV. Greyson stayed quiet while Scarlett eyed the two of them as they walked away. Information is still not clear on why they, of all people, would go check for bodies.

Luke almost murdered Ashley in the process, making it exceedingly doubtful that they intended to perform some kind jester. Based on his experience at the moment, Greyson wanted to find out more information.

"Hey, have you ever tried controlling those energy beams with your hands?" Esme asked as she sat down on a pink beach towel. Her feet were bandaged, preventing infections from spreading.

Jason stared at his hands at her remark. All he has been using has been his own fighting skills, except when he fired at Stick.

"No," Jason said.

"There's no fun in that. You disappear soon," Esme said.

Jason closed his eyes and faced his hands toward the water. Did it come naturally or under pressure? Perhaps the combination of fear and rage about Bella being taken again.

His rage intensified as he remembered seeing her tied up, eyes on the verge of tears, his anger grew. It spurred something inside of him, as he felt something fire off onto the sand.

"You could kill someone with that. Maybe that's why you're a high rank," Esme exclaimed, leaning over and staring down.

He didn't exactly understand Scarlett's ranking system, or even that it was real in a sense. Now, seeing him do his own actions along with Esme's words, it all made sense. This energy power in his hands could kill a handful of people. Medium must mean they can cause a lot of damage but can't kill a group of people.