Chapter Nineteen

Jason was pretty sure he was seeing stars. He hung by his wrists on the projector of the smart board, watching Luke stare unimpressed. He didn't know where Bella ended up being taken, but he needed to find a way out.

"Maybe he just needs Jesus?" Eden's voice chimed.

He could feel blood inside his throat from his cut lip. Luke seemed unsatisfied, holding the golf club in his hand. He had to think of a way to get out of this before he was a bloody mess.

"He doesn't need Jesus," Luke snapped.

"Let's pray," Eden said, her eyes shut and hands laced.

Jason could remember Esme saying something about some students being strong Catholics. It wasn't the strange part that she spoke randomly, but praying in front of a white wall. In front of her was a drawing of what seemed like a star coloured in golden yellow.

"It won't work on him, Eden," Luke sneered.

This went from going grocery shopping to learning about the art of prayer. Hopefully, Esme had already found Bella, since she'd been the one who had come to help.

"There's nothing wrong with prayer," she said, her voice high.

"Where's the old Eden who'd escaped from campus with those crackheads?" Luke snarled.

Jason could have sworn that innocent smile had turned into a hard glare. Eden's smile returned, but she had a dangerous look in her eyes.

"Are you intending to push a nerve you shouldn't?" Eden taunted, her voice turning dark.

Luke gripped the golf club like a baseball bat, swinging it against his hip. Jason cried out in pain, making Luke laugh. He hit him again as Jason gritted his teeth at his side. He thought about how this would work, especially since Luke had been torturing him.

Greyson could master his own abilities with ease, but Jason never recalled having his powers from the beginning.

"Don't taunt me, Eden. I'm busy doing work," Luke spat.

Jason gritted his teeth, opened one eye, and saw Eden wearing her innocent expression. Maybe what he had seen was just a facade.

Jason watched Luke try to position himself to hit him again, but Jason saw something else. Eden slowly stood, gripping a second golf club that rested against the wall. She swung it like a bat, hitting it directly on the back of Luke's head. He yelped in pain, holding the back of his neck, slowly turning to glare at Eden.

"Don't disrespect the crackheads either. I'm reformed, but I can be me from before when I want," Eden spat.

At that moment, he tried to angle his power toward Luke, but the golf club fell onto the floor. Luke glanced down from where he stood, seeing the golf club. It didn't melt the flooring, but it did leave a mark.

"Trying to burn my body now?" he asked, glancing up.

Jason narrowed his eyes at the psychotic boy in front of him. Luke literally wouldn't care, even if he had this burning power. All he seemed to care about was the torture that he got to inflict on others.

He tried to angle his hands toward Luke, but it went a different route. Instead of just hitting the ruler out of his hand, it was directed right at his forearm. It slid down his arm, burning his skin. Luke screamed as Jason jumped down, his hands tied, and began to run. He stopped, trying to saw his way out of the rope using a metal door handle.

Before he could run down the hall, he felt something hard hit the back of his thigh. He fell flat, crying out in pain. He looked behind him to see Eden wearing her innocent smile, which didn't match her eyes.