Chapter Twenty-Six

Two days remained until Jason's birthday. Bella wasn't sure what to do during those two days. The Bubble wasn't a place where you could brazenly showcase romance. No casual walks or even planning any type of date. She hit her head on the new table that was in the small dining room. This new house may be small, but it has four small bedrooms.

Before this happened, parties or even football games used to be a highlight of fun. Even out-of-town dates to a movie in Clearview. It wasn't that long, but it had the necessities.

Bella raised her head and drank some orange juice they found in the fridge. Soon enough, they'd be running out of food once Jason disappeared. What happens when they just eat canned food?

"What's wrong?" Bella looked across at where Emma sat.

The girl had spent the night eating some Fruit Loops in a bowl. Emma poured chocolate milk into the bowl since she disliked regular milk. Bella had to admit that it looked disgusting.

"Jason vanishes in two days, and I'm at a loss as to what to do," Bella said.

Emma was a year younger, so when her birthday occurred, she wouldn't vanish. It seemed lucky that she didn't have to witness going through that event, but there were still unanswered questions.

"I don't really know much about it," Emma said, then thought for a moment. "Unless James has something."

Bella felt a spark of hope that even if Jason had to fight Greyson for selfish desires, there could be other ways.

Emma chewed her lower lip. "James couldn't tell you," she said. It made her slap both of her hands on her cheeks multiple times. "Sorry, the romance department isn't my greatest strength."

Bella hadn't known her for long, but she felt bad for the girl. Greyson had been her boyfriend, which is already a red flag.

"With what Cindy said, it hasn't left my mind," Emma sighed, but didn't have watery eyes.

Bella has liked and dated guys in the past, but Jason made her feel different in a good way. It wasn't the same type of guy she liked, who played many sports. Even Stick had a crush on her at one point.

"You seem to be holding on okay," Bella said.

"I'm not surprised," Emma whispered, moving her spoon around in the white bowl.

Bella hadn't gone through that type of drama. She had been a witness to her drama with Teagan, but nothing complex.

"I guess the two are dating," Emma mumbled, taking a bite of her cereal.

"They seem like evil people," Bella remarked.

Emma stopped chewing her cereal. "Luke you should worry about the most," she said.

That day, he attacked Burger King as if nobody had been there. Seeing a girl die and almost get shot isn't exactly something she can forget. Staying with people she trusted made her feel safe.

"He's definitely evil," Bella spat.

Emma didn't say anything after that. Bella wondered if she had known more about what Scarlett and Greyson had done.

"I'm pretty sure Luke hates you, like most girls," Emma finally said in the quiet house. "I'd watch yourself."

One part of her was still shaken from the events, but the other could face him. It just made her let out a sigh.

"What did your parents do?" Bella asked.

"My dad is a travel agent. My mother died of brain cancer three years ago, but she was a fashion designer," Emma said.