14 - Eloise Gardener

With Detective Rogers, Jamie and Henry were waiting for Tilly in the park. Henry sat on a bench with Jamie as Detective Rogers stood looking around for Tilly as she was running late.

 Henry sat on a bench with Jamie as Detective Rogers stood looking around for Tilly as she was running late

"You'd think a girl hooking watches wouldn't ever be late," Detective Rogers said.

"You know, I've been thinking about what you said before about Eloise Gardener. This connection that you feel with her? Is this like a cop thing or is there something more going on here?" Henry asked.

"It isn't just a cop thing. The night she vanished, I was drinking instead of patrolling her neighbourhood, I was en route to the bottom of a bottle. It's my fault she disappeared," Detective Rogers said.

"No, it isn't. I keep telling you, it isn't your fault, it could have happened anytime," Jamie said.

Tilly was walking towards them, when Detective Rogers saw her she turned away, "Hey! Hey!" Detective Rogers called out.

"Where's she going?" Henry asked as they ran over to Tilly.

"Hey, we were waiting. Did you find anything?" Detective Rogers asked her.

"Yeah, I found something but you don't want to hear this," Tilly said.

"Of course I do," Detective Rogers said.

"No, I should go," Tilly said as she turned to leave.

"Hey, stop! Whatever you've got, just get on with it," Detective Rogers said.

"Okay," Tilly sighed as she turned to them, "I spoke to a few of the runaways from the old group home. There was a guy who used to go out with a girl... A girl by the name of Rain. She wrote poetry, loved Salinger and was constantly drawing in her notebook. So, I checked him out, okay? And... And, uh, he gave me this," Tilly said and she handed him a drawing of a sunset that Rain did and it matches the ones in Eloise's book.

"This... This drawing's from her. This is from Eloise, that guy did he say where she is?" He looked at her and Tilly looked away sadly, "Hey, what?" Detective Rogers asked.

"She's dead," Tilly said sadly.

"How?" Jamie asked.

"Car accident, there was a stolen car and since her name wasn't Rain..." Tilly said.

"They couldn't identify the body," Henry looked at Detective Rogers, "Hey, I'm so sorry..." Henry said.

"Rogers?" Jamie said.

"I need to be alone," Rogers said as he walked off.