The Dam Is Breaking

"Tommy, room 412 has checked out," Jack Manifold said from the counter, putting a pair of keys onto the hook. Tommy nodded, bringing a basket onto the elevator with him. Tommy pressed the button to get to the fourth floor. As soon as the door opened, Tommy strolled out with the basket rolling behind him.

Door 409 opened as Tommy passed. A woman peeked out, a child making a screeching sound behind her. She turned her head inwards to mutter something about being quiet. She turned back to Tommy apologetically. "Sorry about that. I was wondering if we could order some dinner? I saw on the pamphlet you guys make pizzas for guests?"

How many lies does my boss tell? Tommy thought warily. "We usually do, ma'am, but the oven is broken. I can order one for you from a restuarant, or any other food you're feeling."

"Oh," She said almost sadly. Tommy felt bad. His boss did anything to gather people to the hotel, including lying and some minor scamming. Tommy stayed out of it. He was just the cleaning crew, nothing more or less. "I guess that's fine. I was going to ask for one medium pepperoni."

"I'll get right on that, ma'am," Tommy nodded before continuing to room 412. He pulled out his skeleton key to open the door. He was met with the rancid smell of alcohol. As Tommy looked at the sheets he was meant to clean, he wanted to throw up. He refrained because that would be more mess he would need to clean up. Tommy crossed the room. He pulled the sheets from the bed, rolling it up so the comforter was wrapped up with it. Tommy plopped those in his basket. He took the pillows, pulling off the cases and putting those in the basket. Once done, Tommy slid out his communicator. He dialed a nearby pizza place while dragging the basket down the stairs to the basement.

"Hello?" Tommy asked the device as he pushed open the door. "Yes, I'm here to order one medium pepperoni pizza." Tommy grabbed a handful of quarters from the small basket. He dumped the sheets in the washing machine, sliding the quarters in the slots. "No, that will be all." Tommy pushed the quarters in, watching the machine hum to life. Tommy scooted over to the dryer. "I'd like it delivered." Tommy opened the dryer, hot air blasting onto his face. Tommy pulled the hot clothes from the chute, pushing them in the basket. "The Logstedshire hotel." Tommy backtracked up the stairs to the fourth floor. "It will be for Tommy." He opened the door to 412 with his skeleton key. "Thank you. I'll see you when you get here."

Tommy ended the call, sliding his communicator back in his pocket. Tommy dumped the fresh, clean sheets and comforter on the bed. He made the bed as quick as he could, fluffing the pillows before letting them rest. Tommy took the empty basket back to the basement. He left it there before returning to the first floor.

"I will not let any damn bitch on my premises. So, either leave that mutt outside or scoot." Tommy smelt his boss even before he heard the yelling. The drunkard was yelling at some green haired man who had a white wolf-dog sitting beside him. Jack was doing his best to keep the situation under control, but he didn't have any luck when it came to hot tempered men like the boss. It was Tommy's job to keep customers from pressing charges.

"Don't mind him, big man. If you leave your dog outside, I can guarantee her safety," Tommy said, stepping between the two. The man had wavy, dark green curls with swamp green eyes. He wore a neon green camo  jacket and pants combo with yellow tennis shoes and gray gloves. Sprinkles of green freckles- more like colored squares- decorated the side of his face. A creeper hybrid.

Tommy leaned down, putting out his hand respectfully. The dog stood on her legs, sniffing the air around his hand. She growled lowly at the bracelet her wore. It was a power suppressor that Tommy had traded his collar for. After the dog alerted Tommy to what was on his wrist, she settled for getting pets from Tommy's hands. Her snow white fur was warm and soft underneath Tommy's hand. He could feel her strength in the muscles down her back, but her eyes shone with a gentle light. Tommy was tempted to grab the dog and run away with her.

"This is Fran. My name's Sam," The man said, ignoring the drunkard and Jack to pet Fran with Tommy. Fran seemed delighted at extra pets, but she opted to rest her head on Tommy's knee instead of her owners. Tommy didn't know why. "If Fran trusts you this much, I suppose I should as well. She was always better at reading people than I was."

Tommy let a smile tug on his lips. Sam stood up, turning his attention to Jack to purchase a room for himself for the night. The drunkard scoffed miserably before returning to the back office to waste the day away. Tommy helped lead Fran outside while Sam went to the elevator. Tommy looked to see what room Sam had gotten. The key was labeled with 410. Tommy nodded with that knowledge. He cusped Fran's head in his hands, looking her in the eye. He whispered softly so Jack wouldn't hear. "I'll sneak you in later. Wait here patiently, alright?"

Fran licked his nose in response. Tommy giggled despite himself. Tommy walked back into the lobby. He turned to Jack. "Hey, Big J! I have to wait for the pizza man, so I'll be here for a little while if you wanted to take a break."

"Really? Thanks, Tommy. Boss hasn't let me sit down this entire shift, and I haven't even gotten my lunch break but it's nearly dinner. I swear, someone should get this place under new management," Jack said as he wandered off to the alley to smoke a cigarette or whatever the hell he did back there. Tommy had to agree with Jack. However, both boys had a mutual agreement not to be the traitors. If the boss went down but no one took over, they'd both be unemployed. Tommy didn't know anywhere else that would hire someone his age.

Tommy sat in one of the guest chairs until the pizza boy came. Tommy gave him the money for the pizza while taking the box into his own arms. Tommy waited for the pizza boy to be long gone before he gently pushed the door open while whistling. Fran trotted in with what Tommy could have sworn was a smile.

"C'mon," Tommy told Fran, leading her to the stairs. The two trekked upwards. Tommy knocked on door 409 to deliver the pizza. A small boy opened the door, wearing a shirt backwards and his underwear with wet hair matted to his forehead.

"Cole!" The woman shouted in exasperation. She carried with her a pair of shorts. At the doorframe, she helped Cole into his pajama shorts before straightening his shirt. She nudged him deeper in the room when she was done, standing up to meet Tommy. "Thank you so much. How much was it? I'll pay-"

"No need, ma'am. Take it as the hotel's apology for having our oven broken," Tommy smiled as politely as he could, using his customer service voice. She seemed shocked before smiling at him gratefully. She thanked him again before closing the door.

"I could fix the oven," Someone said behind Tommy. The boy turned quickly to see Sam, leaned down while rubbing Fran's belly from the doorway of 410. Tommy stepped over, leaning down to join in pampering the dog.

"Let me shoot straight with ya, pal, the oven? It's all bullshit. Our entire kitchen is a fucking wreck, and has been since before I got here. That bit about the pizza? Big fat lie on drunkard's part. Just likes duping people out of money," Tommy whispered, eyes peeled for anyone listening.

"If he scams people out of money, why'd he pay for that woman's pizza?" Sam asked just as quietly as if he knew that Tommy didn't want others to know.

Tommy snorted. "He didn't pay for it. I did with my own money. I can see it a mile away. She's being abused by her husband or fiancée. Evidence one is the red ring around her ring finger, meaning she recently wore a ring that was rarely taken off. Evidence two is the bruises around her skin, and the horrendous bruises on her kid's legs. Not to mention how malnourished they look. Last would be her need to hide her kid and stay silent whenever someone's at the door."

"I..." Sam trailed off. Tommy shrugged. Standing up, Tommy looked around. "I have to go now. I'm still on duty. Keep Fran out of sight, okay? Drunkard is... well, he would probably do something fucked up if he saw her."